• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting multipurpose device in kickstarter- Master Sous

cdh

Kickstarter seems to have me figured out and sent a notice of this new project: 

I couldn't resist sharing it here.

I like the idea but wonder whether it can execute satisfactorally.   It seems very much like a slightly kitchenized lab stir plate setup, which are quite good at keeping things suspended and at a uniform temperature.  I love that people are trying to apply new inexpensive precision controls to old ideas.   I wonder if the wattage and heating element can really keep up with things like steaming and particularly deep frying, where you lose a bunch of energy whenever you drop in new cold food.

• Like 7

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

"A slightly kitchenized lab stir plate" is what I've been begging the universe for. Generally I'm pretty cautious about crowdfunded manufactured goods ... there's so much that can go wrong for early adopters. But I'll keep an eye on this gizmo.

It seems to me the killer app for this kind of thing is liquid foods that need to be cooked to a precise temperature ... custards, ice cream bases, etc.. You could maybe temper chocolate in it. Cooking liquids sous-vide is often a guessing game with regards to timing, because the liquid in the bag is not getting stirred, and we don't have any good thermodynamic model for convection and conduction of goopy liquids in a floppy ziploc.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Looking further into the details, it seems that they're claiming that stirring is variable, and can be turned on and off,  and come on on a schedule.  That seems interesting.  They're hitting some fascinating possibilities that could be useful.  If they can execute on it.

• Like 1

I checked out the kickstarter. It looks pretty cool. I would prefer it worked more like a stirring hotplate that allowed you to use the vessel of your choice on top. Or at least if the vessel were plain stainless steel. I can't stand everything being gratuitously coated with teflon that's going to scratch off in a couple of years. 

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

• 4 weeks later...

So this kickstarter did meet its goals... and I was a backer.  I'll be fascinated to see what my $250 buys me.  Just a pot with a magnetic stirring functionality will be pretty cool.  I hope they figure out a way to make the deep fry function workable by adding a spigot to drain oil.  I'll post updates if/when there is news.

• Like 1