• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2018 Holiday Cooking and Baking

David Ross

16 hours ago, sartoric said:

My contribution to Christmas lunch - the quintessential Aussie summer favourite pavlova with strawberries, blueberries and passion fruit. I will also be making mango daiquiris with rose syrup to order...it’s a perfect day here, 24 C at 10.30 in the morning. Let the feasting start soon. Merry Christmas to my online friends !

Beautiful presentation.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Porthos What are Scottsdale potatoes?

Today, since Christmas dinner was early, I repurposed some leftovers into turkey and asparagus quiche. I'm taking it somewhere tomorrow, so I wanted a foil pan, and I didn't have a round one, therefore, rectangular quiche.

quiche.png.8bbef660bbb941a94d1ca5ea3563a58a.png

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

57 minutes ago, kayb said:

rectangular quiche

Rebel. 

• Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Christmas birthday lunch. Smoked turkey salad with, slivered grapes, pickled onions, candied pecans and cranberry vinaigrette

011.thumb.jpg.5da6b87a97bc370db64c2b20270de51b.jpg

Christmas Dinner Table

027.thumb.jpg.8582593e7849622c6feb92f532561153.jpg

Mushroom soup

023.thumb.jpg.133f169e72313882d6b5eca855693196.jpg

Smoked yams with allspice.

014.thumb.jpg.b73d51b2f77ff6310d96a0e7bdf11db5.jpg

Greens with Benton's bacon

017.thumb.jpg.20afaa123f05fa18a6ef08e9ba030783.jpg

Tenderloin with soy and red wine braised onions

030.thumb.jpg.0c3a39386a1a24a413f24dd139b46773.jpg

Not shown because I got forgetful, salmon log, pimiento cheese, au gratin potatoes, pickled veg and roast veg  as snacks,  sticky toffee pudding for dessert

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

The meals, treats, pastries and ideas here have all been wonderful! I, for the second (or is it third) year running, have not used the dried fruit I bought with which to make stollen or a fruited bread. I suppose it isn't too late for New Year's. When we got to the family gathering, I discovered that my cousin was jonesing for the latest chocolate pudding - a Hershey Special Dark Chocolate mix - so I bought 2 packages and a graham cracker crust, and presented him with a chocolate pie made from the stuff. I took special pains to save a package that clearly says "Made with genetically engineering products" (or maybe "Made with genetic engineering"). :blink: He loved it. For the rest of us, I made an eggless chocolate mousse - heavy cream, bittersweet chocolate, sugar, hot water. Each of us had about 1/2 cup serving, and it was a gracious plenty.

For today I brought what they requested: bread. I'm really quite proud of it. Sourdough, from a starter I began a month or so ago in Tucson, and using special flour I picked up in Tucson. Not a GMO to be found, as my cousin enjoyed teasing me. (The others appreciated that same point!) We all loved the flavor and texture, and I was pleased with the shaping. I do hope this means I'm actually learning something about bread-baking, rather than dumb luck.

20181225_171331.jpg

Although, when it's a pinch like the holidays, I'd just as soon be lucky as good.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, Shelby said:

Thank you!  So easy and so great to have in the freezer.  Here is the thread discussing them .  I've taken quite a few short cuts and they are still wonderful.

Lay out puff pastry, make a log out of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage.  Place at the bottom of the square of puff pastry, roll it up, slice into portions and freeze.  I place them on a cookie sheet and throw it in the freezer. Next day put them in a ziplock freezer bag.  To bake, take them out, place them on a cookie sheet (or I use the pan that came with my CSO) on a piece of parchment paper. 350F for about 20-25 mins.

Delicious and I've loved Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage for years.  It is far better than what I've tried to make at home and the "artisanal" sausage I've tried.  I like the balance of the seasonings but especially the grind of the meat.  Sometimes a name brand is in fact, as far as some of my cooking, the best ingredients.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Delicious and I've loved Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage for years.  It is far better than what I've tried to make at home and the "artisanal" sausage I've tried.  I like the balance of the seasonings but especially the grind of the meat.  Sometimes a name brand is in fact, as far as some of my cooking, the best ingredients.

Shelby's dish looked delicious...but the ingredients were a problem for me.   Well, one ingredient...the sausage.  I don't do sausage...sorry, Shelby, David...

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Shelby's dish looked delicious...but the ingredients were a problem for me.   Well, one ingredient...the sausage.  I don't do sausage...sorry, Shelby, David...

I wonder if the same approach would work for a sweet filling (finely chopped dried fruit, nut paste) or a different savory filling. (What? Nuts with ground turkey? Ideas, anyone?) Can't see why not, but it occurs to me that I have time and opportunity still to get some puff pastry and experiment on more than just the two of us! We also like Jimmy Dean sausage.

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

34 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I wonder if the same approach would work for a sweet filling (finely chopped dried fruit, nut paste) or a different savory filling. (What? Nuts with ground turkey? Ideas, anyone?) Can't see why not, but it occurs to me that I have time and opportunity still to get some puff pastry and experiment on more than just the two of us! We also like Jimmy Dean sausage.

Probably would work.  

How about pepperoni?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Probably would work.  

How about pepperoni?  

Chopped up for tenderness, mixed with something else (celery? antipasta bits?) that would work for me. Since @Darienne doesn't do sausage, she might not do pepperoni either. I'm trying to brainstorm something that would appeal to non-sausage eaters. I, however, have added the sausage and puff pastry to my post-Christmas shopping list!

• Delicious 1

Just now, Smithy said:

Chopped up for tenderness, mixed with something else (celery? antipasta bits?) that would work for me. Since @Darienne doesn't do sausage, she might not do pepperoni either. I'm trying to brainstorm something that would appeal to non-sausage eaters. I, however, have added the sausage and puff pastry to my post-Christmas shopping list!

True about the pepperoni.  I have pepperoni on my brain because I was just reading about West Virginia pepperoni rolls.  

I bet salami or pepperoni would be good with that olive salad that goes on muffulettas.........

Ok, ok....I'll stop with the pepperoni :raz:

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, kayb said:

@Porthos What are Scottsdale potatoes?

A potato casserole using mostly already-prepared ingredients. Minced onion cooked down in olive oil is added to frozen cube-style hash browns, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. It's topped with crushed corn flakes and butter, then baked. It is a family favorite in a family full of good cooks.

The Rib Eye Roast ready for serving after I clean up the platter edges..

20181225_191952[1].jpg

• Like 9

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

44 minutes ago, Shelby said:

True about the pepperoni.  I have pepperoni on my brain because I was just reading about West Virginia pepperoni rolls.  

I bet salami or pepperoni would be good with that olive salad that goes on muffulettas.........

Ok, ok....I'll stop with the pepperoni :raz:

I'm fine with pepperoni or salami...summer sausage I love...thinly sliced good Italian prosciutto...yum.  But sausages have little gristly things inside them...yuck.  Takes me back to the horrible sausages of my childhood.  Don't go there...

I'll think about something sweet to go into them maybe. Thanks Shelby. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A potato casserole using mostly already-prepared ingredients. Minced onion cooked down in olive oil is added to frozen cube-style hash browns, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. It's topped with crushed corn flakes and butter, then baked. It is a family favorite in a family full of good cooks.

Gotcha. I've had, and made, that, and yes, it's GOOD. Just never heard it with that name.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Johnnybird and I have celebrated our Christmas for the last 35 years on New Year's Eve.  This year I had used some of my gift certificates at Quattro's farm store and they had some venison back strap that was frozen.  They are set to harvest some early next month but I scored a piece that I will slice into medallions and sear off.  I have some cloudberry sauce and lingonberry sauce I will serve with it.  Definitely baked russet potato for me and probably mashed sweets with maple syrup and thyme for John.  Not sure if I want some lemon and garlic green beans or some steamed broccoli with sesame oil.  Perhaps a chocolat pot de crème for him, maybe a mixed fruit salad for me......

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 12/26/2018 at 10:44 AM, Porthos said:

What are Scottsdale potatoes?

I live in the vicinity and that is the first time I have heard a kind of potato casserole with a Scottsdale reference.  My LDS friends talk lovingly of "Funeral Potatoes" though.  The description sounds close in recipe.

• Like 1

We've made Scottsdale potatoes for so many years I have no memory of where the recipe originally came from.

Sometime over 20 years ago we made them when visiting my brother who hates sour cream. He loved the potatoes. We never told him that they had sour cream in them.

• Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I first had them probably 20 years ago at a pot luck. Loved them, and they're still a favorite for pot lucks. It's been my experience they don't keep well, and the recipe makes a bunch, so I save it for big dinners.

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 12/24/2018 at 5:13 PM, Shelby said:

Thank you!  So easy and so great to have in the freezer.  Here is the thread discussing them .  I've taken quite a few short cuts and they are still wonderful.

Lay out puff pastry, make a log out of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage.  Place at the bottom of the square of puff pastry, roll it up, slice into portions and freeze.  I place them on a cookie sheet and throw it in the freezer. Next day put them in a ziplock freezer bag.  To bake, take them out, place them on a cookie sheet (or I use the pan that came with my CSO) on a piece of parchment paper. 350F for about 20-25 mins.

In the end, I have done little holiday baking...but I DID do these today as part of New Year's breakfast. I'm so glad I did! No pictures, but there's another log in the freezer for later.

• Like 4

My NY Day 2019 good luck foods, made by Mom, shared by all.

Homemade sauerkraut made with smoked and fresh kielbasa and the (expensive) imported Polish dried mushrooms.  Served over a few egg noodles.  The bowl is much bigger than the picture indicates.  :D

Potato pancakes with sugar/sour cream and (Ikea fake)caviar/sour cream.

Two kinds of marinated herring not pictured.

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 11.58.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 11.59.13 AM.png

• Like 4

@lemniscate  Ha I am carefully doling out the dried Polish mushrooms my step brother brought back a few months ago. Just opening the jar is swoon enducing. Thank you USDA beagle dog for not sniffing them out!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For the 36th year Johnnybird and I celebrated our Christmas on New Year's Eve.  Unfortunately I was coming down with a case of bronchitis but didn't know it yet.  Baked potatoes, steamed carrots and broccoli for him, sautéed zucchini and onions for me, beautiful medallions of venison with a sauce with lingonberry sauce.  Perfectly crusted meat that was rosy inside if I do say so myself.  

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 11 months later...

Well. Thanksgiving having passed and Christmas coming on, I need to be getting busy on Christmas treats. The first two baskets will go out next Thursday, to the two ladies who run the office for my largest client.

One of these ladies is vegan, which obviously limits what I can make for her. I'm thinking of making Chex mix with either oil or vegan butter, and also on the possibles agenda:

• Quick bread. I found a can of pumpkin in the pantry, have the other makings, am picking up egg replacer in the a.m., will use almond milk, so pumpkin bread.
  • Assorted jellies and pickles. I have plenty, even though I didn't can any this summer.
  • Coconut macaroons made with egg replacer.
  • Cinnamon rolls made with egg replacer and vegan butter.
  • Spicy or candied pecans

Here's my question. I am by no means a chocolatier, but I have had some minor success with fudge and with chocolate dipped things. I'm contemplating chocolate dipped mints, making the mint filling with confectioner's sugar and vegan butter to make the filling. Everyone loves those fudgy cookies you make with cocoa and oatmeal and cook on top of the stove and drop on waxed paper. Would those work with vegan butter? I'm sure Mama used to make them with margarine, as that was what she typically used for everything, so I don't see why not. Chocolate peanut butter balls, filling simply peanut butter and confectioner's sugar.

I'm thinking this year I will use the Paragon unit to melt/hold the chocolate. What temp do I want? It's grocery store chocolate bark; as I said, I am not a chocolatier, and I don't know that I have access to the good stuff here, anyway.

I have a box of Cheddar Bay cheese biscuit mix (a la Red Lobster). Contemplating mixing up a batch of those to toss in. What I'd like to do is figure how to make a stiffer dough, roll it thin, cut it out and prick it, and make  crackers, as they'd stay fresh longer. Vegetable shortening, or vegan butter?

Last year, she was just vegetarian, and I could handle that; she just didn't get bacon jam or ham-cheese rollups. This year she's a lot more problematic. I have told her this. She also shoots hell out of my "bring them lunch the last day this year that I work down there" plan. Although I did one day this year bring a big pot of carrot soup with sorghum grain in it that wasn't bad.

Thankfully, no one else on the goodie basket list has dietary restrictions. And I always make GF Chex Mix anyway, as it's easy, and Child C and I can both eat it.

Edited by kayb
to fix stuff. (log)
  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

I pulled out my standard recipes - it is what people ask for/expect. So tomorrow spiced pumpkin bread and spiced chocolate chip cookies. After that (need more  sugar and butter) - baklava and Linzer squares.  My oranges are at a stage where i can get some sour and some sweet with flavorfull zest (has rained 24 out of last 48 hrs so they will be plump) I have not ventured to the kumquat (muddy) but hopefuly - good in  the baklava syrup.  

• Like 1