• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2018 Holiday Cooking and Baking

David Ross

Treatmaking update: I think I can finish tomorrow. Which would be good, because that gives me two days to clean house and cook Christmas dinner before the fam descends on Sunday.

Sour cream banana bread, because I had bananas about to go south on me.

200882434_bananabread.jpg.35d5f9a923d273a0779e010630098ebf.jpg

More Chex mix. Because we inhale that stuff.

2095540817_chexmix.jpg.7d8a38cbcd316b0b1340948193e75e7d.jpg

Butter pecan cookies, aka pecan meltaways, aka Mexican wedding cookies, aka, by the woman who made them at work for about 100 years, Hebrew cookies.

371855653_Hebrewcookies.jpg.ca244aa7838fb193fc0a22d585fc7bc4.jpg

Oatmeal Craisin walnut cookies.

2126403769_oatmealcraisincookies.jpg.e86a5e83d35e47f7cbbd116963aa01aa.jpg

Four batches of fudge; clockwise from top, peanut butter, chocolate walnut, white chocolate with cashews and macadamias, and chocolate mint with almonds.

fudge.png.e37aeb0b7ab1e3cc4ca7f82d9f4048f7.png

Rice Krispy Treats

450732087_rktreats.png.60d8fd1cd94384530f8cc4f49596c5bb.png

Coconut macaroons

macaroons.png.19b4da3745784b4665f1d383d06fcd08.png

Tomorrow -- pralines, toffee, more gingersnaps, more cheese crisps, and maybe one other cookie. Or maybe not. Then basket-packing will commence.

Also went to the grocery today to pick up fruit for Sunday's fruit salad. Also grabbed some asparagus ($2.99 a pound, and we all love it); and, against all my good intentions, a small turkey I can stick in the smoker. Need to put the bottom round roast in to SV tomorrow; planning on 130F and then chilling, then searing, then chilling again to slice for sliders. Any recommendations on how long to SV? Moved the ham out of the freezer into the fridge to thaw; will bake him and make sides on Saturday.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, lindag said:

@kayb

OMG, I 'm about to faint from the vicarious exhaustion.

It does not come as easily as it used to. That's two days' worth, about eight hours each day in the kitchen. And my kitchen looks like hell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Rice Krispy Treats

450732087_rktreats.png.60d8fd1cd94384530f8cc4f49596c5bb.png

We "sort of" make Rice Krispies Treats. We alternate years between Cocoa Pebbles and a blend of Rice Krispies and Fruity Pebbles. Fruity Pebbles are way too sweet to only use them. The Fruity Pebbles Treats are colorful without having to add any extras.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I make all kinds of "sort of" Rice Krispie treats - Capn Crunch Peanut Butter, Kix, etc.  They are popular with both kids and adults in my experience.  But has anyone tried Sesame Ginger Rice Krispie Treats?  They are from Momofuku Milk Bar and are truly amazing.  A real grown up Treat.  

Just finished making 2 batches of Sponge Candy (yes, it is 2:30AM 😴 - life has gotten in the way of my usual early prep):

DSCN8935.JPG.4e2ff58e492cf7ef087b1e207a4433e6.JPG

The one on the right is the 'correct' one.  I'm pretty sure that the one on the left got too hot - it tastes ok, but I don't like those huge pockets.  When I poured it into the pan, it just ploofed everywhere.  I have inadvertently invented something useful, though.  Part of the reason that I overcooked the left one is because I was having to use my infrared thermometer which just measures the surface temp.  Because I was boiling sugar, every time I tried to use my Thermapen, it would get an instantly hardening coating of syrup.  You have to soak that stuff off, so it rendered my Thermapen useless.  Sigh.  So - my invention is a Thermapen condom, if you will.  Some little disposable sleeve thing that would sheath the probe, but still measure the temp accurately.   You could just pull it off and use a new one a couple of minutes later.  Isn't this a great idea?  I know I could use a clip on candy thermometer, but I truly hate those things.  I never found one that was very accurate or that would stay on a pan properly.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how one would go about actually making the condoms.  Practical stuff is not my strong point.  But I offer it to the universe - free.  If you run with it, just promise to send me the first batch!  😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Broke this up this morning:

DSCN8936.JPG.909b23b789c2e6def6f6e111e94e2300.JPG

@Darienne's Toffee.  This turned out exceptionally well this year.  Perfect yielding crunch, almost no chocolate loss and it broke into nice squares.  It tastes heavenly.  It always tastes heavenly, but I've never had the chocolate cling so nicely before.  Usually breaks of in sheets.  This year instead of melting the chocolate and spreading it on the 30 minutes cooled toffee, I waited only a few minutes and while the toffee was still screaming hot (but firming up) and sprinkled the chopped chocolate on.  It melted almost immediately and I spread it out and sprinkled on the finely chopped almonds.  Once the chocolate was slightly firm, I scored it as deeply as I could with a knife.  It broke almost perfectly.  Thank you, @Darienne!  Mr. Kim swooned when he tasted it this morning!

@Darienne - question for you: how do you store your toffee?  I did some research and found that because Engstrom's toffee has so much butter in it, they suggest storing it in the refrigerator.  Is that what you do for yours?

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Darienne's Toffee.  This turned out exceptionally well this year.  Perfect yielding crunch, almost no chocolate loss and it broke into nice squares.  It tastes heavenly.  It always tastes heavenly, but I've never had the chocolate cling so nicely before.  Usually breaks of in sheets.  This year instead of melting the chocolate and spreading it on the 30 minutes cooled toffee, I waited only a few minutes and while the toffee was still screaming hot (but firming up) and sprinkled the chopped chocolate on.  It melted almost immediately and I spread it out and sprinkled on the finely chopped almonds.  Once the chocolate was slightly firm, I scored it as deeply as I could with a knife.  It broke almost perfectly.  Thank you, @Darienne!  Mr. Kim swooned when he tasted it this morning!

@Darienne - question for you: how do you store your toffee?  I did some research and found that because Engstrom's toffee has so much butter in it, they suggest storing it in the refrigerator.  Is that what you do for yours?

Gorgeous Kim.  I've not had problems with the chocolate coming off, but then it was the famous Chocolate Doctor, Kerry Beal, who first told me to dust the toffee with cocoa before putting on the melted chocolate.  And how did you do the second side?

And truthfully, I've never done much of what you might call 'storing' the toffee and never in a fridge.  I'll have to think of that one.  I package it up and get it out of my reach (and mouth) as quickly as possible.   I once made a batch for the previous owner of our rented condo in Moab, Utah,  and he ate the entire thing by himself.  Astounding.  No storing going on there.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

23 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

DSCN8936.JPG.909b23b789c2e6def6f6e111e94e2300.JPG

I'm about a month behind in my candy making, specifically my Almond Butter Crunch, basically the same as a home version of Almond Roca.  That looks so wonderful and thanks for the tip from Engstrom's.  I've always wondered about storing mine.  Was there too much humidity in my house, did putting it in a covered can make it soft?  It's natural now to think yes, keeping it in the fridge keeps the butter in the toffee cooler.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Darienne said:

Gorgeous Kim.  I've not had problems with the chocolate coming off, but then it was the famous Chocolate Doctor who first told me to dust the toffee with cocoa before putting on the melted chocolate.  And how did you do the second side?

And truthfully, I've never done much of what you might call 'storing' the toffee and never in a fridge.  I'll have to think of that one.  I package it up and get it out of my reach (and mouth) as quickly as possible.   I once made a batch for the previous owner of our rented condo in Moab, Utah,  and he ate the entire thing by himself.  Astounding.  No storing going on there.

Thank you!  I did do the cocoa dusting after I blotted the butter off the hot toffee.  I just did a fairly thick layer of chocolate on the top and left the bottom bare.  It just seems to work better that way for me.

• Haha 1

I have no idea what we’re doing and feel completely behind on baking. My SO’s son goes to his mom for Christmas late afternoon/evening so a traditional dinner seems not on the cards for the whole family. We’re thinking maybe a brunch? Anyone have a good egg casserole recipe? Eggs and some meat and pancakes or waffles and fresh fruit? Doesn’t sound fancy enough though. :(

Christmas Eve is likely to be our larger spread - my mom wants to try her new fondue pot and don’t tell my SO but he’s getting a new Raclette grill and cheese early, so I need to think of accompaniments to all that cheese that will help it be a more balanced meal. My mom is still doing modified FoDmap which means no onions/garlic so much charcuterie is right out.Tiny finely sliced roast to use as a cracker/bread topper? We will have baguette slices for the Raclette. My mom is also deeply suspicious of all salad greens as a result of the recent outbreaks so I want to have some kind of salad but I’m not sure what I will manage.

Anyone want to brainstorm with me? I can use onion/shallot/garlic OIL in moderate amounts, the problem sugars are water soluble. Also no shellfish because I’m allergic. 

6 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I have no idea what we’re doing and feel completely behind on baking. My SO’s son goes to his mom for Christmas late afternoon/evening so a traditional dinner seems not on the cards for the whole family. We’re thinking maybe a brunch? Anyone have a good egg casserole recipe? Eggs and some meat and pancakes or waffles and fresh fruit? Doesn’t sound fancy enough though. :(

Christmas Eve is likely to be our larger spread - my mom wants to try her new fondue pot and don’t tell my SO but he’s getting a new Raclette grill and cheese early, so I need to think of accompaniments to all that cheese that will help it be a more balanced meal. My mom is still doing modified FoDmap which means no onions/garlic so much charcuterie is right out.Tiny finely sliced roast to use as a cracker/bread topper? We will have baguette slices for the Raclette. My mom is also deeply suspicious of all salad greens as a result of the recent outbreaks so I want to have some kind of salad but I’m not sure what I will manage.

Anyone want to brainstorm with me? I can use onion/shallot/garlic OIL in moderate amounts, the problem sugars are water soluble. Also no shellfish because I’m allergic. 

Look here.  This is the breakfast page of my recipe webpage.  Lots of good ideas and some are fairly elegant - the bacon, egg and cheese breakfast boat and the basil breakfast strata present really nicely.  Also, this Breakfast Strudel in the egg section is lovely.  

• Like 2

I have found that simple and delicious is appreciated over fancy. I did a spinach/egg white/cheese omlette the other day that took less than 10 minutes and was raved about. I've since made a smaller version for myself twice!  Along with fruit and a quick bread (maybe pumpkin or cranberry) I think you are done. Orange juice & fizzy water or cheap sparking wine, coffee, and hot chocolate completes. BTW a friend manages a gift shop with heavy foot traffic and sets out hot chocolate for customers during the hoidays. They all rave snd want her recipe. It is Swiss Miss w/ water!!! During the holidays it is more the atmosphere than the food I think.  As I stress about what to serve one of my boys tomorrow - heed thine own words Heidi!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Ran across this today and it seems apt..

"In my experience, cleaver food is not appreciated at Christmas.  It makes the little ones cry and the old ones nervous."

Jane Grigson

As in June Cleaver? As in Leave it to Beaver? Jane Grigson said that? Was she wearing pearls at the time?😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My baking has all been gifted but 2 and they are coming over in 2019 (in freezer). Cooking shrimp, rice and slaw for one  of the boys tomorrow. Not always traditional stuff buff but making them happy is the point.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, heidih said:

I have found that simple and delicious is appreciated over fancy. I did a spinach/egg white/cheese omlette the other day that took less than 10 minutes and was raved about. I've since made a smaller version for myself twice!  Along with fruit and a quick bread (maybe pumpkin or cranberry) I think you are done. Orange juice & fizzy water or cheap sparking wine, coffee, and hot chocolate completes. BTW a friend manages a gift shop with heavy foot traffic and sets out hot chocolate for customers during the hoidays. They all rave snd want her recipe. It is Swiss Miss w/ water!!! During the holidays it is more the atmosphere than the food I think.  As I stress about what to serve one of my boys tomorrow - heed thine own words Heidi!

The problem is we don’t eat badly ever, and we like holiday meals to feel at least a bit special? Not like tasting menus and things, but not stuff we have everyday, either. Or at least a special element, like one year I did really good steaks and for once bothered to make bearnaise sauce. On request we had roast potatoes instead of frites, but usually I don’t make bearnaise sauce when we have steaks. :)

• Like 5

14 hours ago, kayb said:

Done. Now on to Christmas dinner!

20181221_125434.thumb.jpg.0127e6d20493ab7bd65bb7bfe0ccfc81.jpg

Two had already been delivered. Several smaller food gifts packaged up as well.

These are gorgeous.  I know how much hard work it is.  I used to do them for special customers at work.  That's a job I'm glad to be rid of lol.

• Like 3

Final Count: 15 varieties of cookies -->> 34 plates and one 1/2 sheet pan used as a platter.

For reasons I resent and can't control (time taken away by my DW to do something away from the house)  I don't have a clue how we're going to have a Christmas dinner, let alone have friends come stay with us this coming Friday night.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My gosh look what I found in my eGullet archives.  From 2010, a Washington Apple Gateau with Caramel Sauce.....

Washington Apple Gateau with Caramel Sauce.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1