• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2018 Holiday Cooking and Baking

David Ross

Cookies so far: Chocolate Chips cookies by my DW, the balance by me include Oatmeal Raisin, Cherry Icebox, White Chocolate Chip Craisin, Chocolate Crinkle and Pferrernuesse. Still have 10 to go by next Thursday, not all chosen and on the list yet.

In other news, we're planning on a Rib Eye Roast for Christmas dinner.

• Like 7

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 11/5/2018 at 9:38 AM, David Ross said:

I'm thinking of a roast goose for Christmas.  My Father and I always wanted one, so one year Mother broke away from turkey and cooked a goose.  Of course Father and I thought it was delicious, Mother and my Sister not so much.  I have friends in the UK who always tempt me with their roast goose recipes.

Around here they are $180 each. I've been tempted but never could rationalize it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

My Mom, who was an exceptional home cook, roasted a goose one year for Thanksgiving.  After that we didn't vary from our traditional turkey....it just wasn't the same without turkey.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Darienne said:

Three batches of Almond-sprinkled, Chocolate-coated both sides Butterscotch Toffee (copycat Enstrom recipe).  All packaged up a la Christmas to be delivered to a variety of folks with whom we do business.  Christmas tradition on the farm.   A few pieces leftover.   I think I'm getting too old for this...

DSC01228.thumb.JPG.f45ee123e0376b0c7be95d275a5943ce.JPG

Probably making that this weekend.  I say a thank you to you when I make this.  It is the best I've ever made.  I can't tell from the picture, but do you do the chocolate on both sides?  I don't anymore because I can't seem to get it right - it just falls off one side or the other when I do that - and it tastes good with only one side anyway.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Probably making that this weekend.  I say a thank you to you when I make this.  It is the best I've ever made.  I can't tell from the picture, but do you do the chocolate on both sides?  I don't anymore because I can't seem to get it right - it just falls off one side or the other when I do that - and it tastes good with only one side anyway.  

Two sides always.  I watched the Enstrom video of making this toffee last year and so changed my method somewhat.  I turn the toffee out of the cookie pan as soon as it's cool.  Turn the pan upside down and use it that way.  Warm chocolate on one side, sprinkled with ground almonds...cool...turn the toffee over, and the same procedure on the second side.  Last batch, the toffee was so cold (garage in the far frozen north) that I used a hair dryer to keep the melted chocolate from hardening too quickly.  Sure helps if there are two people taking care of this step.  

(Secretly:  I do think about doing one side only with some regularity...but seeing as it's my yearly gift to the recipients I wonder if they would notice...)

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We used to have a neighbor who did toffee like that. I loved it. Believe me, I'd have noticed if the chocolate were only on one side!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

My first Rocky Road. Seems to be a Christmas 'thing' in these parts. 

20181215_143423.thumb.jpg.e860b12db354f77fa8c319e8ebea80d0.jpg

I've just been reading up on rocky road in Magnus Nilsson's The Nordic Baking Book!

"This is one of those recipes that some might feel does not belong in a book of Nordic baking.  After all, Rocky Road was invented in Australia in 1853 to peddle spoiled sweets (candies) imported from Europe and was later popularized as an ice cream flavor in the US.  However if you were to visit 100 random Swedish families on Christmas Eve I believe you would find that an almost shockingly high number of them would be serving homemade Rocky Road..."

Looks lovely by the way.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 hours ago, Darienne said:

Three batches of Almond-sprinkled, Chocolate-coated both sides Butterscotch Toffee (copycat Enstrom recipe).  All packaged up a la Christmas to be delivered to a variety of folks with whom we do business.  Christmas tradition on the farm.   A few pieces leftover.   I think I'm getting too old for this...

DSC01228.thumb.JPG.f45ee123e0376b0c7be95d275a5943ce.JPG

Would love to have the recipe!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Would love to have the recipe!

You won't be sorry.  It is the best!  I would never tell her, but my mom used to make one that was SO thin and used melted chocolate chips for the chocolate.  I quite liked it until I tasted this one.  Ruined Momma's for me forever!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Successful Peanut Brittle, thanks to @pastrygirl and @Darienne:

DSCN8925.JPG.b2f760f1d43e1755c2df098f317bfce8.JPG

I got interrupted making the syrup and wondered if I could bring it back up to temp.  They encouraged me to do so and it worked just fine.  This is my favorite peanut brittle.  It is from the great aunt of a friend.  I'm thinking the recipe is a fairly old one - his parents are much older than mine (mine are 80), so I'm guessing the aunt was born near the turn of the century.  The "recipe" was interesting - no temperatures, just descriptions of the process.  I wish I had kept her language when I redid the recipe for my webpage.  

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Done.

Thank you!

A couple of questions.  I only use unsalted butter.  It would not normally be a problem to buy another pound of butter, salted in this case, but I have 14 pounds of unsalted butter in the freezer (Lanctantia @2.88/lb).    Could I use that and add a bit more salt?  Also, the recipe calls for milk chocolate.  Ever try it with dark chocolate?  

Thanks again.  I'm looking forward to making (eating) this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you!

A couple of questions.  I only use unsalted butter.  It would not normally be a problem to buy another pound of butter, salted in this case, but I have 14 pounds of unsalted butter in the freezer (Lanctantia @2.88/lb).    Could I use that and add a bit more salt?  Also, the recipe calls for milk chocolate.  Ever try it with dark chocolate?  

I have converted unsalted butter to salted.  Let the butter soften and beat it in a mixer.  Most salt is too granular, unless you like the crunch because it will not dissolve.  BUT, just like you can make sugar superfine or powdered, you can make salt superfine in a spice grinder.  Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon per pound of the superfine salt over the whipped butter and whip some more.  Allow it to "rest" for 30 minutes.  Taste and add more if needed. Some butters require more.

I have found that if you taste immediately after mixing in the salt, you won't get the full flavor, thus the resting. 

This is the same process I use when I make butter.  I use a superfine "velvet" salt.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 10/24/2018 at 4:58 PM, David Ross said:

I'm getting an early start on planning my Holiday cooking and baking.  (I know, I'm already getting some comments from family and friends that it's only late October and it's too early to talk about such things).

I thought I'd start by showing my collection of November past issues of Bon Appetit that my parents collected over the years.  I bring them out every season to go through the recipes that I've tagged with bits of paper and stickers.  Some of the covers are tattered and torn, taped back on, and over the years I've cut out some of the recipes.  While I've read these every year, some dating back to the  1970's, I always seem to find a new recipe to find.  What are you planning to make for the Holidays this year?  Are you introducing some new dishes, staying with the classics or updating them with some new tastes and textures?

Bon Appetit 1983.jpegBon Appetit Nov. 1980.jpeg

Bon Appetit Nov. 1981.jpegBon Appetit Nov. 1982.jpeg

Bon Appetit Nov. 1984.jpegBon Appetit Nov. 1987.jpeg

Bon Appetit Nov. 1988.jpegBon Appetit Nov. 1986.jpeg

Bon Appetit Nov. 1990.jpegBon Appetit Nov. 1993.jpeg

I wish they'd make them all available via DVD like "The Mother Earth News" did with their back-issues! 

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you!

Can't say about the unsalted butter any better than you can.  

OTOH, I am dumbstruck that I never mentioned the chocolate in this recipe.  I'll fix that one in my printed recipe.   I have NEVER used milk chocolate.  I HATE milk chocolate.  I've used only dark and darker and sometimes half dark and half darker...you know 54% and 70%. 

Done. 

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I wish they'd make them all available via DVD like "The Mother Earth News" did with their back-issues! 

That would be wonderful.  I even found a few more great back issues of Gourmet and Bon Appetit this year.

• Like 1

Our local library was disposing of about 10 years of Gourmet.   I dragged them all home and went through them one by one, returning them all for someone else...sans a few pages here and there, of course.  The cost of mailing them would have been prohibitive.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 12/16/2018 at 4:50 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've just been reading up on rocky road in Magnus Nilsson's The Nordic Baking 

Oh! Thank You for the info! 

It's everywhere here, but I'm not a sweet orientated person. I'm at the stage in life where I am trying to make 'traditions' for my wee family - as none of mine are weather appropriate! 

• Like 2

Still not sure what we are making for Xmas or Xmas Eve.  It's just the two of us, so it's not a panic situation.

This morning I went to a local carniceria and placed an order for two duck breasts and two lamb shanks.  I had never ordered lamb shanks here before and I wrote down the translation.  El jefe understood what I wanted but was surprised that I wanted them.  He kept asking me if I was sure and whether what I really wanted was pierna (leg),  and sin huesos (boneless).  He does business with CDN and US expats and I guess this is the more standard special order for lamb.  He was dubious whether he could get either item by Saturday (he like most businesses will be closed Xmas Eve). 

His duck breasts are very large (way bigger than what I buy in US) and one is enough to share, seared with a few interesting sides.  The other breast was slated to be made into prosciutto by my DH but it takes 7 days to cure so that's now a NYE target for sure (yeah, I am late in ordering for Xmas....I have finally adopted the manana mindset, for good or bad). 

• Like 5

I love everything y'all have done but I just want to scream and run away.  John is supposed to get back from Thailand on Wednesday night(here)/ Thursday morning to his body.  I called my one BIL and SIL to ask them plans...nailing freaking jello to a tree would be easier than asking anyone in Poughkeepsie what they are doing...and my BIL, Larry, in ALL SEROIOUSNESS said " well we'll just got to the grocery store on Monday".   😣

As I am now supposed to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for several days with the NEW STOVE / OVEN for between 6 and 15 people and none of them know when they are going to show up I am thinking about pleading (mental)illness.  I won't but will show up and do the right thing.  HOWEVER  I am going to request that before next year we create some sort of plan.

I got a Hatfield ham, I have the sweet petite gherkins, I do REFUSE to use canned sweet potatoes, brown sugar and marshmallows - I will bake them and then whip them, some green beans and roasted carrots.  After that I really don't care.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

54 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I love everything y'all have done but I just want to scream and run away.  John is supposed to get back from Thailand on Wednesday night(here)/ Thursday morning to his body.  I called my one BIL and SIL to ask them plans...nailing freaking jello to a tree would be easier than asking anyone in Poughkeepsie what they are doing...and my BIL, Larry, in ALL SEROIOUSNESS said " well we'll just got to the grocery store on Monday".   😣

As I am now supposed to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for several days with the NEW STOVE / OVEN for between 6 and 15 people and none of them know when they are going to show up I am thinking about pleading (mental)illness.  I won't but will show up and do the right thing.  HOWEVER  I am going to request that before next year we create some sort of plan.

I got a Hatfield ham, I have the sweet petite gherkins, I do REFUSE to use canned sweet potatoes, brown sugar and marshmallows - I will bake them and then whip them, some green beans and roasted carrots.  After that I really don't care.   

My childhood memories of Poughkeepsie include a mental institution.  Perhaps they will have room for you.   :P

• Haha 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

My childhood memories of Poughkeepsie include a mental institution.  Perhaps they will have room for you.   :P

It shut down quite a few years ago...😛.  While most of my husband's family DO belong there I do believe I will try to find a meeting to go to.

It wasn't far from where John's grandmother lived.  I also worked for a year at a psychiatric hospital, Greystone, here in Morris County NJ.  It was...interesting....  Claim to fame was that Woody Guthrie lived at Greystone while he was in the final throws of Huntington's disease.  And one of the administrators there at the time had known him when he started out as an orderly.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites