• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

Broke this up this morning:

DSCN8936.JPG.909b23b789c2e6def6f6e111e94e2300.JPG

@Darienne's Toffee.  This turned out exceptionally well this year.  Perfect yielding crunch, almost no chocolate loss and it broke into nice squares.  It tastes heavenly.  It always tastes heavenly, but I've never had the chocolate cling so nicely before.  Usually breaks of in sheets.  This year instead of melting the chocolate and spreading it on the 30 minutes cooled toffee, I waited only a few minutes and while the toffee was still screaming hot (but firming up) and sprinkled the chopped chocolate on.  It melted almost immediately and I spread it out and sprinkled on the finely chopped almonds.  Once the chocolate was slightly firm, I scored it as deeply as I could with a knife.  It broke almost perfectly.  Thank you, @Darienne!  Mr. Kim swooned when he tasted it this morning!

@Darienne - question for you: how do you store your toffee?  I did some research and found that because Engstrom's toffee has so much butter in it, they suggest storing it in the refrigerator.  Is that what you do for yours?

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

Broke this up this morning:

DSCN8936.JPG.909b23b789c2e6def6f6e111e94e2300.JPG

@Darienne's Toffee.  This turned out exceptionally well this year.  Perfect yielding crunch, almost no chocolate loss and it broke into nice squares.  It tastes heavenly.  It always tastes heavenly, but I've never had the chocolate cling so nicely before.  Usually breaks of in sheets.  This year instead of melting the chocolate and spreading it on the 30 minutes cooled toffee, I waited only a few minutes and while the toffee was still screaming hot (but firming up) and sprinkled the chopped chocolate on.  It melted almost immediately and I spread it out and sprinkled on the finely chopped almonds.  Once the chocolate was slightly firm, I scored it as deeply as I could with a knife.  It broke almost perfectly.  Thank you, @Darienne!  Mr. Kim swooned when he tasted it this morning!