• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

robirdstx

robirdstx

30 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Thanks gfweb.  Looked up Bourdain's original recipe also.   Garlic to the sky.  My Mother-in-Law probably never put garlic or thyme or rosemary in anything.  And no Gruyere cheese for sure.  We are talking 1950s and a family in which my Father-in-Law never tasted something so foreign as spaghetti.   The question for me is:  Did she use onion or not?  Probably not. And would that matter to Ed now or not?   She probably used flour.  And does he really remember 'how' they tasted?  Oh, and he will help with the slicing. 

There is always Betty Crocker Creamy Scalloped Potatoes! Onions can be made optional!

robirdstx

robirdstx

27 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Thanks gfweb.  Looked up Bourdain's original recipe also.   Garlic to the sky.  My Mother-in-Law probably never put garlic or thyme or rosemary in anything.  And no Gruyere cheese for sure.  We are talking 1950s and a family in which my Father-in-Law never tasted something so foreign as spaghetti.   The question for me is:  Did she use onion or not?  Probably not. And would that matter to Ed now or not?   She probably used flour.  And does he really remember 'how' they tasted?  Oh, and he will help with the slicing. 

There is always Betty Crocker Creamy Scalloped Potatoes! Onions optional!