• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Scones

For many years, generations of my family have made Apple scones for special occasions.  I'm trying to find the origins of this 'dish'.

It's made as a flatbread with mashed potato in the dough. They are rolled into circles then sliced apple is placed on one side. They are folded in half, pan fried for a bit then placed in the oven. Whilst in the oven, they are basted with copious quantities of butter & sugar for hours. Eventually the butter/sugar mix forms a sauce (my father calls it 'gravy') and this is served over each scone. Typically, in our family, they were made by the men and took ALL day to make.

I'm aware that the name is very likely to be incorrect, but that is what I've grown up with but I'd really like to know what it should be called and regionally, where it might have come from.

All ideas would be great!

Definitely not traditional "scones" which are a light quick bread, similar to souther biscuits, leavened with baking soda or baking powder.

Scones are never fried.

You description sounds more like hand pies.  I make a pie dough using leftover mashed potatoes.  I don't have a recipe per se because I just put it together.

HOwever there is a very similar recipe HERE.   And this can be used for hand pies.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett