• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ninja Ultra Prep Food Processor and Blender 700 watt

andiesenji

I was thinking about getting another smaller food processor since I killed mine.  I still have the big 20 cup but it is just too large for many tasks.

Then I was sent this Ninja Ultra Prep Food Processor and Blender  to use and write a review.  (I get free products to test and have been doing so for several  years_

Wow!  

This is one of the most VERSATILE appliances of this type I have used.  It does everything except cook.

The way it works is backwards from a regular food processor.  In a way it is sort of like the immersion blenders that come with a bowl with small blades similar to a food processor, but this is one on steroids.

It's like the inventor took an immersion blender and  increased the power, the reach and the versatility about 1000 times.  And the size of the jug equates to one of the original Cuisinarts.

The 700 Watt POWER SOURCE is on the top and once the task is done, the "POD" is removed and set aside SO THERE IS NO CHANCE OF IT GETTING WET OR MESSY!  Easy to keep clean.

The cutting blades lift out and are set aside (I put the dirty ones straight into a deep container filled with water) so there is less chance of cutting fingers or hands.

The POWER POD is impressive and one has full control, not dependent on switches.  One presses directly on the top for the power to start, releasing the pressure stops it.

I AM IMPRESSED!  I made smoothies, coleslaw, chopped vegetables for soup. Also pizza dough,  purees from frozen fruit, pie dough,  processed apples, skin and all to make "rustic" apple sauce and cooked some of it down for apple butter.  I minced cooked chicken for a paté, along with celery, parsley, onion.

I made mayonnaise by putting all the ingredients except the oil into the jug, fitting the lid on and then the Power Pod then flipping up the cover of the pouring spout, pushing down on the top of the Power Pod while drizzling the measured amount of oil through the pouring spout.  After measuring out all the ingredients, it took me a minute to make the batch of mayonnaise, and then make a second batch to which I added 4 cloves of garlic to make aioli.

This is ideal for someone whose space is limited and needs a food processor and a blender.  Cleanup is very easy. For most fruit things it simply rinses clean IMMEDIATELY AFTER USE.  I have not put it in the dishwasher and don't intend to as it is so easy to clean. After anything with meat, grease or oil, warm water with a drop of dish detergent put the lid on and make sure the pouring spout is locked down. 

put the power pod in place and press for 30 seconds. Dump out the soapy water, rinse the three components well.  Drain dry.

The blades are incredibly sharp.  The super processing blade have a pod that locks them away so they are safely stored.  

I highly recommend this.  I think it is amazing and it takes a lot to impress me.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sounds like something I could really use.  Ed bought me a Cuisinart 12-cup food processor and while it works very well...it weighs a ton and the pieces that come with it take up a lot of storage room and to date I have not used one of them.  I'm afraid that DH has a habit of always buying the biggest he can find no matter what I ask for.  Still...I'm not complaining.  

The weight of the machine base is really a problem.  I've had to put it in a container with handles so that I can carry it more easily and it's stored right beside that honking Cuisinart 7-quart stand mixer.  Well, maybe I'm complaining just a little bit.  Almost 59 years of marriage...what can a girl do?

OTOH, as gfweb says: I don't need this...I don't need this....:raz:

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks, gfweb.  I received it in mid-September before it was listed on Amazon and I spent nearly a month putting it through its paces.

I chopped some things that my food processors didn't do such a good job on - jicama for instance.  

Really dry bread crumbs - went so fast and were so evenly "crumbed"  and in some of the blending - I NEVER had to scrape down the sides of the jug, which has been a constant annoyance with my Cuisinart food processors.  

I think I gave it a pretty good workout.

The other reviewers agreed with me almost 100%.

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

41 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Sounds like something I could really use.  Ed bought me a Cuisinart 12-cup food processor and while it works very well...it weighs a ton and the pieces that come with it take up a lot of storage room and to date I have not used one of them.  I'm afraid that DH has a habit of always buying the biggest he can find no matter what I ask for.  Still...I'm not complaining.  

The weight of the machine base is really a problem.  I've had to put it in a container with handles so that I can carry it more easily and it's stored right beside that honking Cuisinart 7-quart stand mixer.  Well, maybe I'm complaining just a little bit.  Almost 59 years of marriage...what can a girl do?

OTOH, as gfweb says: I don't need this...I don't need this....:raz:

This is lightweight. I have no problems even with the arthritis in my hands.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@andiesenji This is the $79 model?

Yes.  The one that is in the link.

• Like 1

Here are some photos that are a bit better than the ones on the product page.

Shows the weight  too.

And the plug has a little "clip" to fasten it to the cord.  Something that should be on ALL appliance cords!

HPIM2103.jpg.d00a013915e0a775c6e7e33c732a31ee.jpg

HPIM2104.jpg.851aedf81d6d1b7d85a831cc36b6a11c.jpg

HPIM2105.jpg.08270be95736902569cb29cd6c2d0b40.jpg

HPIM2106.jpg.69ab9b67493d0c6cb9cfd1acdc04ce5d.jpg

HPIM2107.jpg.ea7a0a8a6249b3530f851142c5b93ccb.jpg

HPIM2108.jpg.4cb298c107dbe4521140867f8d824090.jpg

HPIM2109.jpg.de4a1b09fc39387605c1f43c1776ad27.jpg

HPIM2110.jpg.0f724c50777dec531153b2eeddf2d1fd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Try it now.  I just reset it.  Or use this:   NINJA

This is impressive. It looks like it won't grate, as such - say, to grate cheese. Is that the only thing I would be missing if I were to use this to replace a cheap food processor?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I haven't tried grating HARD cheese with it.  Will do so later today when I am more fully awake. I doubt it will grate softer cheeses.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I tried it on hard cotija grating cheese and it worked flawlessly as you can see in the photos. Zipped right through it in a few seconds.

HPIM2111.jpg.d0e78ce3ae8834b935ab275a25c7da53.jpg

HPIM2112.thumb.jpg.8a95109454947692aeaa1fce329843ef.jpg

HPIM2113.jpg.2a9936e0ca3b45ab0b543023d474798a.jpg

HPIM2114.jpg.8787ac12f789d8f6ca64b2eea10787d3.jpg

HPIM2115.jpg.c4b59e08fda10c03a0217e1bc3766b8d.jpg

Then  I tried it was rock hard, really old Parm.

It did grate small pieces - as you can see in the second photo but I wouldn't want to force it. I could use this cheese to drive nails!

HPIM2116.jpg.7f2ec02883a521ba27476d08fa68243e.jpg

HPIM2117.jpg.429ad8a56df5cde814b5cf5a364195b7.jpg

• Like 4

@andiesenji how does the Ninja parmesan compare with parmesan grated with the Cuisinart grating disc (which I purchased a while ago and still haven't tried)?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@andiesenji how does the Ninja parmesan compare with parmesan grated with the Cuisinart grating disc (which I purchased a while ago and still haven't tried)?

It really doesn't work on the extra hard aged cheeses.  The second cheese, the rock hard parm and aged very hard Asiago  and Grana Padano will have to be grated in the Cuisinart, which makes short work of it.  I didn't even try the two latter in the Ninja.  I didn't want to take a chance on breaking a blade or the jug.

The Cotija is like young parm or romano.  It can be cut with the knife I used.  That knife did not make a dent in the aged parm.  I had to use one of the wedge knives with the short broad handle.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Ninja is no doubt a big name and my borther and other family members have been using its food processor for years so there are other quality food processors available in this era as well. I eventually bought a Panasonic food processor from Sogo as they were having a promotion on the week that I purchased. I havent used it intensively as my Vitamix. Have made cacao energy balls and homemade almond butter and it didnt disappoint. I used to have problems processing dates with my blender and with the food processor, it processed the dates without any issues. I have yet to find an easy veggie burger recipe to try next. It slices onions fast that sometimes I realize cleaning takes longer than the time it takes for the appliance to slice veggies.