• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Old/Soup Chicken" from H Mart

Hassouni

I've seen whole chickens at H Mart labelled either soup, stew, or old chicken, as distinct from the rest of the poultry for sale there. I was wondering if anyone had tried these, and if they are in fact better for long cooking, and also any speculation about the provenance of said chickens? Industrially raised chickens are slaughtered very young, so what about these?

4 hours ago, Hassouni said:

I've seen whole chickens at H Mart labelled either soup, stew, or old chicken, as distinct from the rest of the poultry for sale there. I was wondering if anyone had tried these, and if they are in fact better for long cooking, and also any speculation about the provenance of said chickens? Industrially raised chickens are slaughtered very young, so what about these?

They are, I believe, chickens used in egg production. When their ovaries pack in and they stop laying, they are sold as you describe. I don't know your store, but that's certainly what they are here. They certainly make better soups and stocks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I can't answer for supemarkets in your area, but yeah...as Liuzhou said, usually "retired" laying hens. They'll vary in size depending on breed, but on the infrequent occasions I find them in the store I always buy a few for my freezer. They're like any other critter, the longer they live the more flavorful they'll get. They're too tough to cook conventionally, but I still like to work with them.

Aside from stock or broth, they're great for stewing in a slow-cooker. They take a long time to break down, so you can treat 'em as an all-day braise at the lower setting. If I get a large one, I'll also usually cut off the breast and use that separately. I slice them horizontally into 2, 3 or 4 oblongs (depending on size) and give them the schnitzel treatment. That works well, and (given that the birds themselves are usually fairly inexpensive) makes for some cheap meals. Also, you still then have the rest of the carcass for more conventional uses.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

ive never seen chickens like this in my routine area stores.

they all ' work ' on bulk deliveries , and Im betting there are not enough of these older birds to keep a steady supply

granted they must be a huge number of older egg-laying birds in the USA

I wonder if they go to processing plants for

industrial soup makers , and the like

they must enter the ' industrial Food Chain ' in a different manner

I wonder if these are the source of all the chicken in wet and dried  pet foods in the USA

noting the tons of pet food in your average supermarket

that's a lot of chicken

interesting topic

Ill ask around to see what the butchers think

and I bet they do taste better than commercial 4 mo chickens

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Living in a chicken-egg producing state, I can answer some of your questions. A lot of older chickens do, in fact, go to soup making plants, while others go to processors that cook, grind and reform the chicken into nuggets and cutlets. Most pet food plants work off the trimmings from other processing plants (lots of skin, fat and bone meal in there, not a lot of meat).

Laying hens are generally retired at something less than 18 months old from commercial operations. Barnyard chickens can last longer, but in any event not much more than two years. 

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Never seen this ever. I i go to every grocery store in my area on  a weekly basis for at least 2 decades. That said, if i seen a package of chicken labeled "old chicken" my initial reaction would have been "eww" followed by "lol" and i can assure you i would never forget that.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, chileheadmike said:

Back when they carried them, my local store called them stewing hens. 

That's what they were called in my part of the world too.  

Haven't seen any in a very, very long time.