• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Challenged

Many thanks everyone who makes this board possible and to everyone who keeps this board active and relevant.

I'm actively seeking advice on appliances and guidance in the kitchen which enable the differently abled.

You may very well find me posting questions about materials or appliances or ingredients which seem unnecessarily specific or simply unnecessary.

I know I never considered any of these questions until life demonstrated their importance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, happyaccident said:

Many thanks everyone who makes this board possible and to everyone who keeps this board active and relevant.

I'm actively seeking advice on appliances and guidance in the kitchen which enable the differently abled.

You may very well find me posting questions about materials or appliances or ingredients which seem unnecessarily specific or simply unnecessary.

I know I never considered any of these questions until life demonstrated their importance.

It would be necessary to know where you live to give meaningful advice.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome, happyaccident. A number of our members face physical challenges of one sort or another, and have made adaptations. In addition, some of us cook while caring for physically and/or mentally challenged family members. I'm sure you'll find a lot of people who can help you find creative solutions to the challenges in your life. 

If you have questions specifically about how to use the forums or where to post a question, feel free to ask a host. I am one.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, happyaccident said:

Welcome to eG forums, happyaccident!

I know it can be awkward to talk about the compromises and challenges life throws at us, especially with strangers. Still it would be helpful to our ability to give advice if you would let us know what your limitations are.

I broke my left hip in early November of 2017 and after surgery and a short stay in a skilled nursing facility where my husband still is after his stroke that paralyzed his right side in 2016. I was released about a month after my accident back to my home where I live alone and could not afford any outside aid. I have just recently graduated to walking a little bit after spending close to a year in a wheelchair and then using crutches to get up and down stairs. I managed to cook for myself, get the dishes washed, do my laundry without being able to walk for that long. It wasn't fun, but it is doable. I found my biggest challenge with cooking and eating was the difficulty of carrying things around, like from the refrigerator to the prep area to the stove to the table. Also, once your hands get dirty or even wet, you do not want to use them to propel your wheelchair. So I might have some useful information if any of those things apply to you.

Lots of our members are older and are experiencing reduced hand strength or reduced strength in general. I've learned to open stubborn jar lids on my own instead of carrying them to my husband, who was much stronger than me. I've seen a lot of accounts of gadgets and appliances that help older folks cope in the kitchen on this forum.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who are glad to help with problems or questions about anything culinary. Jump in and tell us what you're cooking and how we can help with any challenges you're facing.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I am among those who need special accommodations in the kitchen.  I also have taught cooking classes to people with a variety of conditions. I have a big bag full of gadgets which I purchased to demonstrate how to perform certain tasks in alternative ways. I have contemplated starting a website with reviews because I have found that some items did not work as well as I had hoped. I got sidelined once I realized that I was going to have to purchase 4-5 items a month and realized how expensive the proposition was.

Whether for cooking or other chores, a goodly percentage of the gadgets available just don't work as well as they should. Anyway, I look forward to seeing your observations and questions.

• Like 2

Those who are facing special challenges in the kitchen may find helpful hints in this eGCI course on cooking with disabilities:Cooking With Disabilities, Part I. There are two other parts, on cooking FOR someone with disabilities, and on dealing with nausea or other medication side effects.

Click here for the full Index of eCGI courses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown