• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shelf life of marshmallow cream?

Pastrypastmidnight

I want to put a soft marshmallow fluff into a bonbon. I’ve made this recipe lots of times for my s’mores macarons and it’s great but the recipe says it will only keep 2 weeks in the fridge (but it is actually fine much longer—at least no one in my family has died yet ;) ). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chowhound.com/recipes/homemade-marshmallow-creme-30296/amp

Does anyone know of a soft marshmallow cream recipe I can pipe into a bonbon and leave at room temp for a couple of weeks? I know the commercial stuff will separate long before it goes bad (don’t ask ;) ).

In previous discussions of piping marshmallow into bonbons, people mentioned the egg white vs. the gelatin method of making it. There seems to be no significant taste difference between the two. I use gelatin in mine. I have tried dried egg whites but did not like the smell/taste of the dried product. I know many people believe that the hot syrup renders real egg whites safe, and they may well be correct, but I would not use eggs in a bonbon--why take a chance when it's not necessary? The Aw reading of marshmallow is rather low (compared to a ganache), but water activity does not tell you everything about safety.

3 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

In previous discussions of piping marshmallow into bonbons, people mentioned the egg white vs. the gelatin method of making it. There seems to be no significant taste difference between the two. I use gelatin in mine. I have tried dried egg whites but did not like the smell/taste of the dried product. I know many people believe that the hot syrup renders real egg whites safe, and they may well be correct, but I would not use eggs in a bonbon--why take a chance when it's not necessary? The Aw reading of marshmallow is rather low (compared to a ganache), but water activity does not tell you everything about safety.

Have you been able to make a marshmallow with gelatin that was soft like a marshmallow cream, rather than set like a marshmallow? Most actual marshmallows made with egg whites still contain gelatin to make them set up firm, etc. 

22 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Have you been able to make a marshmallow with gelatin that was soft like a marshmallow cream, rather than set like a marshmallow? Most actual marshmallows made with egg whites still contain gelatin to make them set up firm, etc. 

I have. Check the recipe (note that the adjustments to make it pipeable are based on my experimentation, but the basic recipe is from RecipeGullet).

57 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have. Check the recipe (note that the adjustments to make it pipeable are based on my experimentation, but the basic recipe is from RecipeGullet).

I have used your tips for pipable marshmallow—it works great for a set marshmallow, but it wasn’t the texture I was looking for in this case. I’m looking for something that remains soft and creamy permanently. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I have used your tips for pipable marshmallow—it works great for a set marshmallow, but it wasn’t the texture I was looking for in this case. I’m looking for something that remains soft and creamy permanently. Thanks!

That recipe produces a soft marshmallow. You just have to experiment with when to stop beating and start piping. I have tasted a bonbon after many weeks, and the marshmallow layer was still soft. I suspect egg whites produce a softer product (there is no gelatin to firm it up), but with the recipe to which you linked you are dealing with uncooked eggs (or eggs cooked with hot syrup, to be exact), and thus the specified two-week limit stated.

cut down on the amount of gelatin and reduce the mixing by a minute each time to see where you want that product to be.    I've been using Nightscotman's recipe for years and burned out two small KA mixers when I first started making it; then over the years I started to cut back on the gelatin and the mixing time.  Now when I make a full sheet (pan, by doubling the recipe) of vanilla marshmallow; I'm using 1 5/8 ounces of powdered gelatin and beating for only 6 minutes.  I get a firm enough set that I can still cut it (or pipe it in to a kiss shape) but sometimes it's still very soft (this happened a few times this summer and I suspect user error more than anything else ;) and it was too "flabby" to cut into squares.)

• Like 1

Thanks!

Ingredients on the Kraft Marshmallow Creme are: Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Egg Whites, Artificial Flavor, Cream of Tartar, Xanthan Gum, Artificial Color (Contains Blue 1)

I wonder if I can get out of using gelatin if I use some xanthan gum and still end up with something shelf stable. 

34 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Xanthan gum is not a substitute for gelatine. Why don't you want to use Gelatine -4mular makes a vegetable gelatine if thats an issue

http://www.le-sanctuaire.mybigcommerce.com/genutine-x-9303-carrageenan-vegetable-gelatin-powder/

I don’t want a set marshmallow. I just want a soft creamy marshmallowy flavored thing that stays creamy and soft. I haven’t been able to get the texture I want with gelatin. It’s not a vegan/vegetarian thing. It’s just a texture thing :).