• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fermented black beans

KennethT

So I'm prepping to make mapo tofu, and one of the ingredients is fermented black beans.  I haven't opened the package yet, but they look like they're preserved in salt.

Do they need rinsing or soaking before chopping them up?

57 minutes ago, KennethT said:

So I'm prepping to make mapo tofu, and one of the ingredients is fermented black beans.  I haven't opened the package yet, but they look like they're preserved in salt.

Do they need rinsing or soaking before chopping them up?

If you are following a recipe it might be advisable to wash. You can add salt at the end if you feel that the dish is lacking. But most probably the recipe has been balanced with rinsed beans, as the added salt content of different products can vary significantly.

• Like 1

Yes. They are salty. That's how they are made. I seldom rinse them.

When your dish is cooked, you can adjust the seasoning, if required. Probably not. Be careful if you are also using soy sauce.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto