• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to keep nuts crunchy inside a bonbon?

sbain

Hello Chocolate Geniuses. I have been experimenting with adding toasted nuts to my molded bon bons. I’m filling with a cream ganache, and sprinkling chopped nuts in to try to get some “crunch” but instead everything is pretty soggy :(

Thinking about adding a whole hazelnut instead of chopped bits but worried about it getting soggy too. Any advice? Do I have to pre-coat the nut? Or just drop it in?

Help!

I once did a, possibly inappropriately named, piece that was a layer consisting of half of a brandied cherry and invertase-treated fondant. That was topped with a thin layer of ganache. I painted the surface of the ganache with chocolate and filled in the remaining space with a mixture of caramelized rice krispies and unflavored pop rocks before closing. Everything stayed crunchy and poppy in that last layer with just the very thin barrier for protection but I only needed a few days shelf life and haven't repeated them (even though they were a hit) so I don't know how long it would hold up. Just in case anybody is curious, I called them cherry poppers. It was for a catering job where I knew my audience and the name was appreciated almost as much as the chocolate itself. I think the point behind my rambling post is, I agree with pastrygirl, just figure out some kind of way to somewhat isolate the crunchy stuff from the wet stuff and it should be fine. 

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.