• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Eats: Reloaded

rotuts

AltonBrowns new series has started

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/good-eats-reloaded/episodes

the first one was Steak

its a rehash of a much older show.

perhaps this is the basis ( re-hash )  of the entire series

seems so

I was seriously underwhelmed 

and it was a huge disappointment 

Unknown-1.jpeg.fd01b7b4897d6b5135f5be332be5d942.jpeg

apologies on the header spelling

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title spelling (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

what AB seems to be doing is commenting on old shows

I was a very big fan of the original series

i leaned a lot ,  and there was even some decent humor.

I thought the refrigerator cam was fun.   I liked the velcro-spice containers

now , he shows the old show and comments ;

i pareaphrase 

wow what a shirt ! [ his in the original ep ]   " but it was the '90s

wow I had hair back then

Im not this wide in this shot , we had to widen the image to fit tv !

he did mention there a new beef cuts since the '90's   and has a graphic on " Flat-Iron Steak "  the date , no pic of the cut.

Im no sure why FoodNeetwork even did this show.

Cash - flow issues somewhere ?

its an embarrassment to AB's fine legacy it seems to me.

a shame

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I only had cable for a brief stint in CA

I was charges with selling my parents house

Free Cable , installation , 3 free months etc

so I got it.

it was so long ago

Morto Mario was almost in its prime , and with so many repeats I have them all on a HD

with those vids , I learned how to edit etc on a Mac and 

as a result have a Bazillion [ ed.: N.B. : not a trazillion ]

of digital cooking shows.

back then FN was different , and so much tastier

no possibly overweight people running around in shopping carts to 

win their haul

ties change , and so be it

• Like 4

Over the years, I've watched reruns of Good Eats, partly because I find that I still enjoy the show, and partly because I often picked up something that I missed the first (or second or third) time around, even after I realized that Brown was often just simplifying techniques and information from sources that were less accessible to the typical TV viewer. Almost as often, I'd notice that the show would misstate something, or that its source material had been superseded by more recent findings or technology.

So I was actually looking forward to seeing this show, with its promise of corrected and/or updated material, even if it seems to be mostly a promotion for the new show, due out next year.

Unfortunately, although some of that happens (along with, yes, several wardrobe/hair/technology snippets), a lot of shortcomings were missed, and a few new errors were introduced:

• The implication that the flatiron steak was "invented." I suppose that's technically true, but it's not like cattle breeders engineered steers to create a new cut of meat. It was always there. As rancher Coleman says near the beginning of the episode, "There are good steaks all over the cow." Maybe this is nitpicking on my part, but the use of "invented" struck me as peculiar.
  • More time could have been taken to explain cast iron, though the new instructions for seasoning are refreshingly sensible. Still, the implication that cast iron heats evenly is simply wrong. And while I know that a lot of people swear by using nothing but salt and a paper towel to "clean" cast iron, Brown's embrace of the technique runs contrary to his "work clean" ethos. That is to say, if you aren't washing your pans, they remain dirty. He should -- probably does -- know this. 
  • He stops the replay to "correct" himself on the definition of "prime rib." This leads to an explanation of grading, which leads to a bit about the cast members who played the "inspectors" in the original episodes. The latter was mildly amusing (as were the inspectors, no matter who played them), but "prime" rib is not called that because of grading. It's called "prime" because of the cut. It was disappointing to have Brown bypass a chance to clarify this point (which confuses many people), just for the sake of entertainment trivia.
  • Brown missed a chance to explain why meat changes color, leaving in place the implication that it has something to do with how the meat is cut, rather than discuss oxidation.
  • The steak Brown cuts into at the end of the episode was obviously cold. What the heck, man.

People on eG. for the most part, probably wouldn't benefit from these clarifications, but years of teaching people how to cook has convinced me that many folks would. Alton Brown made his reputation by making food science accessible -- even popular -- and I for one am grateful for that. I'll probably continue to watch the "reloaded" episodes, but I won't be able to completely suppress the notion that I'm a (mostly willing) participant in a cynical exercise.

• Like 9

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I watched it.  I thought he explained somewhere that the actual "new" Good Eats shows were still incoming and that these Reloaded shows were something like a lagniappe to "fix" things he no longer likes about the older shows/techniques for the Good Eats vintage fans.   Since I now do steak exclusively sous vide, this show wasn't in my wheelhouse.   But I am going to reserve judgement on the whole 2018 Good Eats until I see the "new" shows and not the Reloaded.   I think that would be fair.

23 hours ago, ElsieD said:

We don't get the Cooking Channel so won't be watching it.  Loved the original series.

You can watch the new episodes (with ad breaks, of course) here

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/good-eats-reloaded  

• Like 1