• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Texas! I love food!

RJones

Hi all!  Posting for the first time, from just west of Fort Worth, Texas.  I'm a totally self taught home cook.  When I left my parents' home at 19 I only knew how to make mac and cheese and hamburgers and meat loaf.  Collected recipes and experimented on my own for years.  When I started showing off my cooking for my new man he begged me to marry him at each new meal, and so I did.  That was over 8 years ago.

I would say I'm a bit of a jack of all trades in the kitchen, but I really love baking the most as I grew up baking with my mom and Grandma.  I have a sweet tooth so desserts are my favorite!  I make a mean Dutch apple pie and blackberry pie.  And I'm super proud of my Potica (I'm part Slovak but unfortunately didn't have any recipes passed down to me so I had to figure it out on my own).  I also enjoy finding something I like from a restaurant and obsessively trying to copy it so I can make it at home.

A few things I'm interested in but haven't really gone in depth with yet would be crusty bread, Indian food, and I definitely have been wanting to learn how to do canning/preserving like my Grandparents and parents.  I would love to have an endless supply of candied jalapenos!

Here is a picture of some apple cider pumpkin waffles with toasted pecan butter and cider syrup.  :D

IMG_7437.jpg

• Like 5