Forums offline 11pm CDT tonight, 3/23/2019 Read more... ×
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Arlene13

Chocolate truffle trouble shooting.

My truffles are cracking and leaking even when dipped at room temperature. 

I am so frustrated! Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? Also anyone have a good butterscotch truffle recipe with no icing sugar or cream cheese involved?

thank you!

they leak because the chocolate contracts as it sets, which squeezes the filling. Have you investigated pre-formed truffle shells?

1 hour ago, Arlene13 said:

Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? 

Use less liquid (or more chocolate) in your ganache to make it firm enough to handle at room temp. Or use a mold and pipe the filling into chocolate shells. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      Serious help please 😬
      In production of airbrushing many moulds at a time:
      Paint and scrape the mould immediately for each mould every time After scraping the mould you cant get everything off so you need to clean each mould on paper As a result paint from the edges of the mould chips off  Please see picture attached and if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.  
      Any tricks on scraping and cleaning moulds after airbrush when in production.

Thank you
      Egli

• By SilverstoneBakehouse
      Hey Guys,

I have just managed to acquire two secondhand 2016 Selmi One's at a good price, but they did not come with operator manuals. Since the very first thing I want to do is give them as thorough a clean as I can, I feel having access to a manual is vital, and yet I don;t seem able to find one online. As such, I have reached out to the UK agent, but thought I would also ask here if anyone has a digital copy they could ping me?

I'm really excited to have purchased these two Selmi's following some outside investment in my chocolate racing helmet business. Also within the next couple of days, both Mario Andretti and Fernando Alonso will be tasting my creations, which if you know anything about motorsport, is kind of a big deal

Cheers guys!

Matthew

• By chows
      I've recently started making caramels and been experimenting with lots of flavors and having a blast. One thing that I am having a hard time finding information about is the role of the different ingredients and how different ratios affect the firmness of a caramel. In particular, I have an espresso caramel recipe that I can't seem to get to the soft, no-effort-while-chewing texture that I've achieved with other flavors, yet I've stuck to the same temperatures as other recipes. This leads me to believe that the ratio of ingredients is key. I was hoping I'd be able to get some insight into how to alter ingredient ratios to produce a softer caramel. 

Any help would be appreciated.
    • By Needshave
      I’m trying to find a recipe to make caramel suitable for varegating or swirling into Ice cream when the ice cream is loaded out of the ice cream maker to the ice cream storage container. When swirled at this stage it crams a nice caramel swirl when dipping.
      I have made several attempts, first attempt tasted great but got stringy and difficult to cut with a spoon. If you wanted to you could pull it out like a Spiders web. A typical caramel sauce will just disappear into the ice cream and seems to break down into the ice cream. Another attempt it got very sandy when cold and had to be hot to be dispensed into the ice cream, causing the base to melt away. 
      Most useable commercial products seem to be heavy with corn syrup. I have tried that without success. Somehow I think that might be the key since the ingredient list for commercial caramel Variegate has it as the first ingredient and sweetened condensed milk the second item.

Appreciate any recipes or formulas for a Variegating caramel creme ripple you might be able to offer or your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    • By eglies
      I am a new start up in chocolate making. I tried to freeze a container with my bonbons and all the caps just cracked after using my simple vacuum machine. Please help! Which containers should I use and how do you vacuum pack these containers. Anyone with a picture of the container would help.
      thank you