• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Arlene13

Chocolate truffle trouble shooting.

My truffles are cracking and leaking even when dipped at room temperature. 

I am so frustrated! Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? Also anyone have a good butterscotch truffle recipe with no icing sugar or cream cheese involved?

thank you!

they leak because the chocolate contracts as it sets, which squeezes the filling. Have you investigated pre-formed truffle shells?

1 hour ago, Arlene13 said:

Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? 

Use less liquid (or more chocolate) in your ganache to make it firm enough to handle at room temp. Or use a mold and pipe the filling into chocolate shells. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By David J.
      I’ve been getting poor results with an old Betty Crocker recipie for Pecan Sticky Rolls.  The glaze starts out smooth, but ends up crystallizing and I don’t know if it is the recipe, my technique, or something else.

It specifies 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup margarine (I substitute butter), melted to boiling, then add 1/4 cup dark corn syrup. That is poured in a pan with Pecans and the rolls are placed face down and the whole thing baked at 350 after a second rise.
    • By chanjying
      I made aerated chocolate using the recipe from Greweling's "Chocolates & Confections." However, the air bubbles are not very big and I'm not a huge fan of the finished result. I would much prefer to reuse it in a different form. Any idea if it would be possible to melt and reuse the couverture? Or is it doomed since now it has a bunch of O2/NO in it? I worked so hard to get the bubbles in and now I want them out! 😣
    • By artiesel
      THE BOOKS ARE SOLD

I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions

• By artiesel
      Hello,

My question is this...  Is there a company that manufactures an automated machine capable of wrapping cube-shaped caramels and chocolates???  And would such a machine also be capable of wrapping large (3-4 oz.) rectangular chocolate bars or would such a product require a flow wrapping machine?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • By eglies
      Hi there,
      I have found a Danish company who produce 100% natural oil based coloring in liquid form that can be mixed with cocoa butter. I received samples and will test. No E in all colors. 
      They require large quantities in kg to be purchased and the specs say 270 days shelf life once opened. 
      It is so important to get clean labels nowadays why haven’t other companies in europe come up with solutions for small quantities for small businesses?
      I will try it out if I have good results, is anyone interested to share thes quantities with me? Preferably in Europe as shipping would be impossible to the USA. 
      If anyone has another supplier to suggest please let me know. Chef rubber doesn’t supply europe yet and Roxy and Rich are powders not sure what I think of them yet. But none are 100% natural like the company in Denmark.