• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Arlene13

Chocolate truffle trouble shooting.

My truffles are cracking and leaking even when dipped at room temperature. 

I am so frustrated! Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? Also anyone have a good butterscotch truffle recipe with no icing sugar or cream cheese involved?

thank you!

they leak because the chocolate contracts as it sets, which squeezes the filling. Have you investigated pre-formed truffle shells?

1 hour ago, Arlene13 said:

Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? 

Use less liquid (or more chocolate) in your ganache to make it firm enough to handle at room temp. Or use a mold and pipe the filling into chocolate shells. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By sarita020
      My name is Silvia,and I love cacao transformation, and always willing  to learn new ways to do it. www.nomnomcacao.com
    • By Linh N.
      Hello. Thank you for allowing me to join. I am from the sunny Florida. I just started venturing into the chocolate world and am loving it. I am in awe of all the mold chocolate creations and want to be able to make decent pieces. Beside that I also love making macarons. I hope to learn more from all the experts in here. Thank you
    • By kimmiq
      Hi all, hope your holiday season is going well!!  Any idea why sometimes the defect on the bottom happens?  The one on the top came out of the same batch. Thanks in advance!

• By Trufflenaut
      I need some advice on a safe(ish), easy, and fast way to cut buttermints   I often make buttermints for friends for the holidays, and have run into problems cutting them into bite size pieces before the sugar cools and starts to crystallize too much, so I'm looking for ideas on how to do it more quickly so I can do larger batches.  Note that I am doing this at home and have very little budget, but on the plus side I don't need to end up with perfectly uniform pieces.

The basic process for making the buttermints is:
      1. cook butter and sugar to 260 degrees
      2. pour out onto buttered marble slab and let cool slightly
      3. add color and flavor, and pull like taffy while it cools further
      4. when it just starts to show signs of crystallizing, roll into ropes and cut before it crystallizes much further (I have maybe 2 minutes if I'm lucky to get all the cutting done)

The main problem I run into is that when handling the candy during steps 3 and 4, my hands need to be buttered so the candy doesn't stick to me, and even if I quickly wash my hands, any cutting tool needs to also be buttered to prevent sticking, and basically it's nearly impossible to maintain a good grip on anything.  The second problem is that the candy at this point is hard enough that if I try to snip it with scissors it will tend to slide along the blade instead of getting cut, yet it is still plastic enough that if I pick it up it will tend to sag under its weight and thin out too much while I'm concentrating on getting the scissors to cut right.  My best results so far have been with leaving the candy on the marble and cutting it with a pastry scraper, but pressing down hard enough to cut all the way through with a slippery (due to the aforementioned buttered hands) pastry scraper while trying not to gouge the marble underneath is not particularly fun.  I did try pruning shears once because the curved blade holds the candy in place instead of sliding along the blade, which worked fine except for the fear of lopping off parts of a finger made it too nerve-wracking to be done quickly.

Basically, I'd love to find something that works like this, but for something with the consistency of a hard caramel:

Any ideas?
      -Trufflenaut

• By hvea
      Hello,

I have two questions about using alcohol for cleaning the mold and brush splattering/spraying the metallic dusts.

Some of my potential customers are asking for non alcohol chocolates (not just the ingredient but I also shouldn’t use it at any stage) (i know the alcohol completely evaporates but thats not something I can convince them)

1) I have been taught to use alcohol to clean molds. Is there an alternative for this?

2) I have been checking savour online classes. In one of the lessons (chocolate crunch bar) Kirsten Tibbals mix the dust with the alcohol and then splatter it with brush.

is it possible to use cocoa butter / dust mixture and splatter or spray it? what would be the difference?

Thanks!