• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

liuzhou

Chinese Vegetables Illustrated

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I don't think so. The leaves are noticeably different.

The 'large' in the name refers to the cabbage not the leaves. The two cabbages are the same size.

@gfweb

Here are the two side by side.

2cabbages.thumb.jpg.9cdc3edf6c058e5bbfd96c6466c88bd0.jpg

• Like 5

I'm fascinated to learn that when I see something labeled as "nappa" cabbage in my supermarket, they aren't misspelling it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@liuzhou Very true... but I was also comparing the price of the cai hua to the spinach... it's almost half the price.

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Very true... but I was also comparing the price of the cai hua to the spinach... it's almost half the price.

Yeah. The spinach is just coming into season. It will get cheaper over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 8:07 AM, liuzhou said:

Baby Bok Choy is actually a misnomer as it implies that if left alone it will grow up into a regular cabbage. It won't. In Chinese it is 小白菜 (Mand: xiǎo bái cài; Cant: siu2 baak6 coi3) , which is literally 'small bok choy'. It, like the Shanghai bok choy, is cultivar of Brassica rapa subsp. chinensis.

977053520_xiaobaicai.thumb.jpg.5fbd3f1f895f8ab815b2bbd45f9e6d83.jpg

This is one of my favourite brassicas . It can been cooked or eaten raw in salads.

Also, may I mention here, that vegetables are almost never steamed in China - they are stir fried, preferably in lard (ie fat).

This is the stuff that I always thought of as gai lan. 

Edited by cdh (log)

51 minutes ago, cdh said:

Hhmmm - gai lan in my book looks like broccolini or rapini on steroids. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

@gfweb

Here are the two side by side.

2cabbages.thumb.jpg.9cdc3edf6c058e5bbfd96c6466c88bd0.jpg

In Australia we call the one on the right wombok. Makes a great salad with crispy noodles, crushed peanuts, spring onions and a rice wine dressing. 

Thanks for the topic @liuzhou

• Like 5

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Right - gai lan is called "Chinese Broccoli" sometimes in the USA... also, keep in mind that gailan is the Cantonese for Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra (from Wikipedia).  The stems are much thicker and hardier than what has been pictured above so far.

7 hours ago, cdh said:

Definitely not gailan, which I will get around to.

But indicative of the confusion that surrounds this  topic.

And talking of confusion, here is a round-up of cabbage-y looking things widely available here which I have never been able to  identify, despite having tried for years.

The first is 奶白菜 (Mand: nǎi bái cài; Cant: naai baak6 coi3) which translates as 'milk cabbage'.

429279104_MilkCabbage.thumb.jpg.e42b34b54be5b67d2c12edf35edc4d6d.jpg

Then we have 小白口 (Mand: xiǎo bái kǒu; Cant: siu2 baak6 hau2) which translates literally as 'small white mouth'. The only on-line reference I can find in any language says that it is napa cabbage, which it clearly isn't.

946039413_.thumb.jpg.876283d1544f02e6dd18576814a41d4c.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

Speaking of spinach, the Chinese stores here in NYC has Malabar spinach. I also enjoy sweet potato greens ans snow pea shoots. These three vegetables are not that cheap.

dcarch

• Like 1

Isn't "malabar spinach" that mucilagenous veg? Not really botanically spinach? I use it at times mostly in soups. It is pretty cheap here in Asian markets - big bag for $2 usually. The pea shoots come in 2 forms - the ones with leaves and tendrils are pretty cheap. The teeny shoots  are expensive but I imagine that is because there is lots of loss as they do not keep well. 

• Like 1

I'll get to Malabar spinach soon. It's one on the list.

I'm in the supermarket now. I 've just counted. They have 117 vegetables on offer!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

On 10/19/2018 at 2:21 AM, cdh said:

On 10/19/2018 at 3:15 AM, heidih said:

On 10/19/2018 at 5:18 AM, KennethT said:

Right - gai lan is called "Chinese Broccoli" sometimes in the USA... also, keep in mind that gailan is the Cantonese for Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra (from Wikipedia).  The stems are much thicker and hardier than what has been pictured above so far.

While in the supermarket I picked up a bunch of 'gailan'. Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra as noted by @KennethT.

In Chinese it is 芥兰/芥蘭 (Mand:  jiè lán; Cant: gaai3 laan4*2). In English it is usually Chinese broccoli or sometimes Chinese kale.

gailan3.thumb.jpg.121d67a437ca5299ebcb6b52b532002e.jpg

In the next image you can see the thick stem, @KennethT also mentioned.

This is another vegetable that is usually simply stir fried (in lard, for preference) with garlic and maybe oyster sauce.

gailan2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

As it has been mentioned, I'm also bringing this one forward.

Basella alba

木耳菜 (Mand: mù ěr cài; Cant: muk6 ji5 coi2; literally 'wood ear vegetable') seems to be most commonly called Malibar spinach in English.

Not closely related to true spinach, it has many names in both Chinese and English.  In English - vine spinach, red vine spinach, climbing spinach, creeping spinach, buffalo spinach and Ceylon spinach among others.

In Chinese - 紫角叶, 胭脂菜, 胭脂豆, 蚕菜, 木耳菜, 天葵, 胡臙脂, 牛皮凍, 蟳公菜, 蟳管菜, 蟳菜, 蝟菜, 軟筋菜, 軟姜仔, 藤菜, 藤葵, 蔠葵, 非洲菠菜, 繁露, 蘩露, 龍宮菜, 潺菜. No! I'm not going to transliterate all of those!

1427012433_MalabarSpinach.thumb.jpg.2b4bc609c6eef4595bf3e5fbe05849d1.jpg

It is usually briefly stir fried or added to soups. Over-cooking it can make it somewhat mucilaginous or slimy, similar to the sliminess associated with okra. It can also be eaten raw but is somewhat tough and peppery.

It has no connection to the similarly named fungus, 木耳 (wood ear fungus).

It is easily differentiated from true spinach which has purple tinged stems and roots. However, there is apparently a variety of Basella - Basella rubra which does have red to purplish stems and roots. I've never seen it, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

And talking of confusion, here is a round-up of cabbage-y looking things widely available here which I have never been able to  identify, despite having tried for years.

The first is 奶白菜 (Mand: nǎi bái cài; Cant: naai baak6 coi3) which translates as 'milk cabbage'.

429279104_MilkCabbage.thumb.jpg.e42b34b54be5b67d2c12edf35edc4d6d.jpg

Then we have 小白口 (Mand: xiǎo bái kǒu; Cant: siu2 baak6 hau2) which translates literally as 'small white mouth'. The only on-line reference I can find in any language says that it is napa cabbage, which it clearly isn't.

946039413_.thumb.jpg.876283d1544f02e6dd18576814a41d4c.jpg

I have never seen either of these here.  The first looks like a cross between white-stemmed bok choy and yu choy, the second a cross between napa cabbage and romaine lettuce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mgaretz said:

I have never seen either of these here.  The first looks like a cross between white-stemmed bok choy and yu choy, the second a cross between napa cabbage and romaine lettuce.

Yes.  I see what you mean. I need to find a botanist.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, liuzhou said:

Good question. It strikes me that I've never actually been served it by any Chinese friends and there are no recipes in any of my Chinese cookbooks or on the internet, that I can see. Yet every supermarket and wet market has it, so they must be doing something with it. I guess it is simply stir fried like the green and white varieties. I'll ask friends over the weekend how they use it.

@Beebs

My exhaustive poll among China's 1.4 billion population has elicited five replies so far  from friends whose culinary knowledge I trust.

The consensus is that red cabbage is mainly pickled much as it is in Europe and, I believe, North America. Some said they only use it in western style salads, but they are very unusual - both my friends and the salads. Chinese people rarely do raw.

If anyone comes up with a specifically Chinese usage, I'll let you know.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes.  I see what you mean. I need to find a botanist.

Maybe the second is more like Gai Choy - maybe a variation on it?  How does it taste?

6 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Maybe the second is more like Gai Choy - maybe a variation on it?  How does it taste? 

I don't know. I've never knowingly had it. Maybe I have, but most of these greens look the same after being cooked.

I'll get to gai choy soon. It is one of the two most common greens round here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

@Beebs

I've found this video of a Chinese recipe for stuffed cabbage using red cabbage leaves. It's in Chinese but should be fairly easy to follow visually. The ingredients of the stuffing mix, in order, are glutinous rice (cooked) pork, shiitake mushrooms, salt, white pepper soy sauce and oyster sauce. ASis usual here, no quantities are given, so you just have to use your own judgement.

And on YouTube, there is this:

Again,  I think easy to follow without knowing Chinese. There are more at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=紫包菜

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Again,  I think easy to follow without knowing Chinese. There are more at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=紫包菜

@liuzhou It looks like she hand-shredded/tore the entire head of cabbage. Why not use a knife? Is the dish better when the leaves are torn as opposed to being cut? It just seems a little odd to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

@liuzhou It looks like she hand-shredded/tore the entire head of cabbage. Why not use a knife? Is the dish better when the leaves are torn as opposed to being cut? It just seems a little odd to me.

I don't know if it tastes better but she does say near the end that"This hand torn purple cabbage with scrambled egg is ready." There are a number of "hand-torn" dishes in Chinese cuisine, so maybe it's just traditional. Or maybe she just doesn't have a knife!

• Like 2

苦麻菜 (Mand: kǔ má cài; Cant: fu2 maa4 coi2)

Bitter Hemp

This, I'm told, a variety of lettuce, grown mainly in Yunnan province. It grows to around 50cm long (The ones in the image were around 40cm). It was originally used as animal fodder, but the locals developed a taste for its bitter flavour and from there it spread.

1421296520_bitterhemp.thumb.jpg.4a27c9bdd8e7c29b59e69ae3132620a3.jpg

The leaves are briefly blanched in boiling water, then refreshed in cold water to remove some of the bitterness, then stir fried or added to soups etc.

Although it can be more bitter when older, younger leaves, while bitter are not unpleasantly so. This is one I like.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

So, far I've shown 17 vegetables. Only 100 more to catch up with my supermarket stocks, then they will find something else as the seasons change!

Speaking of lettuce varieties (last post), here is another.

Lactuca sativa var. asparagina

celtuce2.thumb.jpg.ec567235fe6f0a14b0b506839ca26fbd.jpg

Although it doesn’t look like it, this is a member of the lettuce family. I know it as celtuce, but it's also known as known in English as stem lettuce, celery lettuce, asparagus lettuce, sword lettuce, A-choy, or Chinese lettuce. In Chinese it is 莴笋/萵筍 (Mand: wō sǔn; Cant: wo1 seon2)  or 莴苣/萵苣 (Mand: wō jù; Cant: wo1 geoi6).

celtuce.thumb.jpg.e3634d579d72a8ee68a3b9fc1da6ba4b.jpg

Those in the second picture are about 40 cm (15.7 inches) long and have a maximum diameter of 5 cm (2 inches). The stems are peeled, sliced and used in various stir fries. The taste is somewhere between lettuce and celery, hence the name. The texture is more like the latter.

The leafy tops are also sold separately as 油麦菜/油麥菜 (Mand: yóu mài cài; Cant: jau4 mak6 coi3).

The stems are also dried and sold as 贡菜/貢菜 (Mand: gòng cài; Cant:  gung3 coi3), literally 'tribute vegetable'.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

There are a number of "hand-torn" dishes in Chinese cuisine, so maybe it's just traditional. Or maybe she just doesn't have a knife!

Perhaps because children help with meal preparation? This would be the sort of activity which would keep the very little ones out of trouble and productive. (My parents first let me use a knife, a small one, at age 4. But not every parent is that trusting.)

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.
      First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years.

Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.. So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency.
      If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat.And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu.
      Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!
      Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By liuzhou
      It is possibly not well-known that China has some wonderful hams, up there with the best that Spain can offer. This lack of wide -knowledge, at least in the USA, is mainly down to regulations forbidding their importation. However, for travellers to China and those in  places with less restrictive policies, here are some of the best.

This article from the WSJ is a good introduction to one of the best - Xuanwei Ham 宣威火腿  (xuān wēi huǒ tuǐ) from Yunnan province.
      This Ingredient Makes Everything Better
      I can usually obtain Xuanwei ham here around the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival, but I also have a good friend who lives in Yunnan who sends me regular supplies. The article compares it very favourably with jamon iberico, a sentiment with which I heartily agree.

Xuanwei Ham

Xuanwei Ham

more coming soon.

• By liuzhou
      I have just returned home to China from an almost two week trip to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam. To get there I first travelled by train to the provincial capital, Nanning. The local airport only does domestic flights, whereas there are direct flights from Nanning. The flight time required that I stay overnight at the Aviation Hotel in Nanning, from which there is a regular direct bus to the airport.

The trip to Nanning is about an hour and a half and passes through some nice karst scenery.

After booking into the hotel, I set off for my favourite Nanning eating destination. Zhongshan Night market is a well known spot and very popular with the locals. I had forgotten that it was a local holiday - the place is always busy, but that night it was exceptionally so.

It consists of one long street with hundreds of stalls and is basically a seafood market, although there are a few stalls selling alternatives.

Filled myself with seafood (and some of that blood sausage above), slept soundly and, next morning, flew to Ho Chi Minh City.

The rest of my trip can be seen here:

• By Lisa Shock
      Years ago, when I visited Tokyo, I ate in a small but fascinating restaurant called 'It's Vegetable' which is now, unfortunately, closed. The chef was from Taiwan, and he made Buddhist vegetarian and vegan dishes that resembled meat. During my visit, several monks wearing robes stopped in to eat dinner. The dishes were pretty amazing. I understood some of them, like using seitan to mimic chicken in stir fry dishes, others used tofu products like yuba, but, others were complex and obviously difficult. One very notable dish we enjoyed was a large 'fish' fillet designed to serve several people. It had a 'skin' made of carefully layered 'scales' cut from nori and attached to the surface. Inside, the white 'flesh' flaked and tasted much like a mild fish. Anyway, apparently Buddhist fake meat meals are very popular in Taiwan and many places, cheap through to fine dining serve them. Yes, if I worked on it for a while, I could probably refine one or two dishes on my own, but, I am wondering if there's a Modernist Cuisine type cookbook for skillfully making these mock meats from scratch? (I have heard that some items are commercially made and available frozen there, much like soy-based burgers are in the US.) I am willing to try almost any offering, even if it's entirely in Chinese. And, I know how to use remailers to purchase regional items from the various local retailers worldwide who do not ship to the US.
    • By liuzhou
      Note: This follows on from the Munching with the Miao topic.

The three-hour journey north from Miao territory ended up taking four, as the driver missed a turning and we had to drive on to the next exit and go back. But our hosts waited for us at the expressway exit and lead us up a winding road to our destination - Buyang 10,000 mu tea plantation (布央万亩茶园 bù yāng wàn mǔ chá yuán) The 'mu' is  a Chinese measurement of area equal to 0.07 of a hectare, but the 10,000 figure is just another Chinese way of saying "very large".

We were in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County, where 57% of the inhabitants are Dong.

The Dong people (also known as the Kam) are noted for their tea, love of glutinous rice and their carpentry and architecture. And their hospitality. They tend to live at the foot of mountains, unlike the Miao who live in the mid-levels.

By the time we arrived, it was lunch time, but first we had to have a sip of the local tea. This lady did the preparation duty.

This was what we call black tea, but the Chinese more sensibly call 'red tea'. There is something special about drinking tea when you can see the bush it grew on just outside the window!

Then into lunch:

Chicken Soup

The ubiquitous Egg and Tomato

Dried fish with soy beans and chilli peppers. Delicious.

Stir fried lotus root

Daikon Radish

Rice Paddy Fish Deep Fried in Camellia Oil - wonderful with a smoky flavour, but they are not smoked.

Out of Focus Corn and mixed vegetable

Fried Beans

Steamed Pumpkin

Chicken

Beef with Bitter Melon

Glutinous (Sticky) Rice

Oranges

The juiciest pomelo ever. The area is known  for the quality of its pomelos.

After lunch we headed out to explore the tea plantation.

Interspersed with the tea plants are these camellia trees, the seeds of which are used to make the Dong people's preferred cooking oil.

As we climbed the terraces we could hear singing and then came across this group of women. They are the tea pickers. It isn't tea picking time, but they came out in their traditional costumes to welcome us with their call and response music. They do often sing when picking. They were clearly enjoying themselves.

And here they are:

After our serenade we headed off again, this time to the east and the most memorable meal of the trip. Coming soon.