• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Vegetables Illustrated

liuzhou

I've been growing Thai basil for years and that looks exactly like it.  Maybe you got some odd batch grown in weird soil that stole it's aroma and flavor. 

And what's up bitches! 🙃

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

I've spoken to the vendors and they have confirmed that they 打错了 (made a mistake) and sent the wrong thing. They have both refunded the little I paid ($1 USD) and promised to add a correct batch to my next order at no charge.

They haven't yet said what they did send. I suspect they don't know.

I'm still somewhat disappointed as they were advertising sweet basil. I mentioned that and they admitted to not knowing the two are different.

Anyway, if the end result is a reliable supply of real Thai basil, I'll be happy. I'll just grow my own sweet basil as usual.

Maybe, I can sell them my excess!

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Finally, I do have some Thai basil. This is the replacement batch they sent me. I know it looks similar to the previous batch, but this new lot has the right smell and taste. The leaves are about half the size of those in the incorrect batch.

That's a duck egg for scale.

IMG_20240201_105612.thumb.jpg.8bdfb38583c3c875351f1242082f5c9b.jpg

• Like 2

香柳 (xiāng liǔ), sweet sallow is something I've never come across before and there is little information on it other than that it is a member of the Salix family of plants which includes the willows after which Liuzhou (柳州) is named.

Screenshot_20240203_104324_com.sankuai.meituan_edit_389047299725531.thumb.jpg.93d9f4c82394718627280e891af5fcbb.jpg

It seems to be added to soups and hotpot or can be briefly stir-fried like any other green.

The taste is initially sweet but turns peppery on the palate. Reminds me a bit of watercress.

It is also, of course, used in TCM.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Many herbs which we take for granted in western kitchens are unknown in China. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme are just strange words in a song to the average cook here. Coriander/cilantro is the only common exception.

Despite being near the border with Vietnam, very few SE Asian herbs make it through either. 

In the last year or so, the highly developed  food delivery service, both for cooked meals and for ingredients has allowed some retailers to be more adventurous with their offerings and a few surprises are starting to show up.

IMG_20240203_120142.thumb.jpg.cd85102ba911d6d308f7d3b798f6136a.jpg

迷迭香 (mí dié xiāng) or rosemary arrived for the first time yesterday. I have grown it myself in the past and will be attempting to get some of these stalks to root, but in the meantime will be cooking with one of my favourite herbs! Still looking out for the rest of the quartet.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

香柳 (xiāng liǔ), sweet sallow is something I've never come across before and there is little information on it other than that it is a member of the Salix family of plants which includes the willows after which Liuzhou (柳州) is named.

Screenshot_20240203_104324_com.sankuai.meituan_edit_389047299725531.thumb.jpg.93d9f4c82394718627280e891af5fcbb.jpg

It seems to be added to soups and hotpot or can be briefly stir-fried like any other green.

The taste is initially sweet but turns peppery on the palate. Reminds me a bit of watercress.

It is also, of course, used in TCM.

This looks a little (but not exactly) like the Viet rau ram (laksa leaf in Malaysia).  Are the stems tender enough to eat or is it just the leaves?

The stems are tender but laksa is available here as 叻沙 (lè shā), a phonetic transcription of the Malay. 

I can't see them using 香柳 when there is a well known established name, so I'm thinking it's something different.

• Thanks 1

Yet another addition to the bok choy confusion. This is a Sichuan cultivar known as 四川儿菜 (sì chuān ér cài), literally Sichuan young vegetable.

Screenshot_20240205_205829.thumb.jpg.e3fb57d41f974b58a9bb6862e5f65dab.jpg

These are about 10 cm / 4 inches in height and taste mild but indentifiably cruciferous. Usually halved lengthwise and stir fried with garlic and soy.

Screenshot_20240205_210000.thumb.jpg.65f667b9f5ae347755461694f0771c11.jpg

It isn't a Sichuan treatment but I like this one with a dribble of oyster sauce.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a thunderous vegetable for you. Lei Gong 雷公 (léi gōng) is the Chinese name of the God of Thunder. For reasons which escape me he has this innocuous looking herb / vegetable named in his honour.

R-C.jpg.31a04d482815977d4595e6ee05342f37.jpg

Lei Gong - image baike-sogou.com

Centella asiatica, 雷公根 (léi gōng gēn), Lei Gong root, is also known as tiger grass , cica, or gotu kola (Indonesian).

IMG_20240227_143724.thumb.jpg.3d9d5ff1b4fa9f81035a7925af65e564.jpg

It is used in TCM for various alleged crimes against healthiness and, of course, the wellness fakirs have jumped on the bandwagon with their ludicrous claims, this time touting it as a skincare miracle.

For sensible people, it's just another bit of dinner, being used in hotpot and soups etc. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2