• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

What are they? and what is a substitute? And if she simply refers to Turkish pepper does she mean a dried product?

Sorry for my earlier confusion. There have actually been three different versions of her "Sichuan book". First was "Sichuan Cookery"in the UK, then later "Land of Plenty" in  the USA and finally the revised and expanded  "The Food of Sichuan" globally.  Stupidly, I was searching the wrong one, despite having all three.

Again going by the image accompanying one recipe, she is clearly using a fresh pepper, not dried. See above.

P.S. I also have the Chinese translation of "The Food of  Sichuan". I'd look to see how that is dealt with it but my dear friend J has borrowed it and is travelling somewhere on business!

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

What are they? and what is a substitute? And if she simply refers to Turkish pepper does she mean a dried product?

Sorry for my earlier confusion. There have actually been three different versions of her "Sichuan book". First was "Sichuan Cookery"in the UK, then later "Land of Plenty" in  the USA and finally the revised and expanded  "The Food of Sichuan" globally.  Stupidly, I was searching the wrong one, despite having all three.

Again going by the image accompanying one recipe, she is clearly using a fresh pepper, not dried. See above.

P.S. I also have the Chinese translation of "The Food of  Sichuan". I'd look to see how that dealt with it but my dear friend J has borrowed it and is travelling somewhere on business!