• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

401521392_PlantainHerb.thumb.jpg.d3acef5b525459581ea930b0364f57d6.jpg

I'm excited. This afternoon after a difficult day of dishonest idiots throwing their toys out of the pram and disappearing vaccinations, I found a new vegetable. Well, new to me, that is.

This is 车前草 (chē qián cǎo) or plantain herb (no relation to the banana-related fruit of the similar name). This is Plantago major, native to Europe and Asia, although apparantly introduced elsewhere. It can be eaten raw when young, but we don't do that round here.  More likely it will be stir-fried as most vegetables are.

Although the distinctive feature is the seed bearing stalks, it is valued more for the leaves and stems which are used as yet another green to be stir fried.

plantain.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm excited. This afternoon after a difficult day of dishonest idiots throwing their toys out of the pram and disappearing vaccinations, I found a new vegetable. Well, new to me, that is.

This is 车前草 (chē qián cǎo) or plantain herb (no relation to the banana-related fruit of the similar name). This is Plantago major, native to Europe and Asia, although apparantly introduced elsewhere. It can be eaten raw when young, but we don't do that round here.  More likely it will be stir-fried as most vegetables are.

Although the distinctive feature is the seed bearing stalks, it is valued more for the leaves and stems which are used as yet another green to be stir fried.

plantain.thumb.jpg.17e076d326f7795d3bf3bbb0b7b5a5fa.jpg

plantain.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

plantain.thumb.jpg.17e076d326f7795d3bf3bbb0b7b5a5fa.jpg

plantain.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

I haven't tried it yet, so no comment on taste, but I'll update when I try it.

Not a great image, I know, but sadly, the market floor isn't really set up as a photo studio!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I haven't tried it yet, so no comment of taste, but I'll update when I try it.

Not a great image, I know, but sadly, the market floor isn't really set up as a photo studio!