• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This turned up in one market today.

japonica.thumb.jpg.a65de89eab91a8fdba47c85541bc5346.jpg

Artemesia japonica.

鸡肉菜/雞肉菜 (Mand: jī ròu cài; Cant: gai1 juk6 coi3), literally and inexplicably "chicken meat vegetable"'.

This is closely related to the plant in the previous post, but is sold as a leaf vegetable for stir frying or using in hot pots. It is bitter, which may be why this site rates it as only 1/5 edible. I guess they don't like bitter. Folks around here do, including me. I'd give it 3/5.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Artemesia japonica.

鸡肉菜/雞肉菜 (Mand: jī ròu cài; Cant: gai1 juk6 coi3)

This is closely related to the plant in the previous post, but is sold as a leaf vegetable for stir frying or using in hot pots. It is bitter, which may be why this site rates it as only 1/5 edible. I guess they don't like bitter. Folks around here do, including me. I'd give it 3/5.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Artemesia japonica.

鸡肉菜/雞肉菜 (Mand: jī ròu cài; Cant: gai1 juk6 coi3)

This is closely related to the plant in the previous post, but is sold as a leaf vegetable for stir frying or using in hot pots. It is bitter, which may be why this site rates as 1/5 edible. I guess they don't like bitter. Folks around here do, including me. I'd give it 3/5.