• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 hours ago, dcarch said:

I think until recently almost all food are cooked in China.

dcarch

As I've mentioned here more than once, eating raw food, including vegetables, is extremely rare in China, even recently.

You have to remember that "night soil"* is still used as a fertiliser. Vegetables are washed thoroughly (to extreme) and then cooked. And before people get freaked out about night soil, remember it was common in the US until relatively recently.

*Human and other excrement.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 hours ago, dcarch said:

I think until recently almost all food are cooked in China.

dcarch

As I've mentioned here more than once, eating raw food, including vegetables, is extremely rare in China, even recently.

You have to remember that "night soil" is still used as a fertiliser. Vegetables are washed thoroughly (to extreme) and then cooked. And before people get freaked out about that remember it was common in the US until relatively recently.