• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This one will need further investigation.

qingpaojiao.thumb.jpg.a2d15bf13ba577c5003ee9195a6a3c95.jpg

They were labelled 青泡椒 (Mand: qīng pào jiāo; Cant: cing1 pauu1 ziu1), which literally means 'green bubble pepper'. However, 泡椒 (Mand: pào jiāo; Cant: pauu1 ziu1) means 'pickled pepper'.

This specimen clearly wasn't pickled. It was fresh. Do they name it because of its bubble shape, or does it mean something like 'pickling pepper'?  Of course, before inflicting this predicament on you, I have asked around my more knowledgeable friends and she said "I don't know". Well actually, she said "不知道"  (Mand: bù zhī dào) which is the same thing. On account of her being Chinese.

They were small; around 2 inches/5cm at most in any direction. And HOT.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This one will need further investigation.

qingpaojiao.thumb.jpg.a2d15bf13ba577c5003ee9195a6a3c95.jpg

They were labelled 青泡椒 (Mand: qīng pào jiāo; Cant: cing1 pauu1 ziu1), which literally means 'green bubble pepper'. However, 泡椒 (Mand: pào jiāo; Cant: pauu1 ziu1) means 'pickled pepper'.

This specimen clearly wasn't pickled. It was fresh. Do they name it because of its bubble shape, or does it mean something like 'pickling pepper'?  Of course, before inflicting this predicament on you, I have asked around my more knowledgeable friends and she said "I don't know".

They were small; around 2 inches/5cm at most in any direction. And HOT.