• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Brassica oleracea var. italica

Western Broccoli.

broccoli.jpg

西兰花/西蘭花 (Mand: xī lán huā; Cant: sai1 laan4 faa1)

Although not a "Chinese" vegetable, it is available in China. In fact, China is the world's largest producer. However, it is nowhere as popular as may be suggested by its use in western Chinese restaurants. That old favourite, beef and broccoli is rare here. A few years back a Dutch plumber decided to open a bar/restaurant in town. The  only vegetable he ever served was over-cooked western broccoli. He didn't last long.

Usually stir-fried.

Not my favourite vegetable.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Western Broccoli.

broccoli.jpg

Although not a "Chinese" vegetable, it is available in China. In fact, China is the world's largest producer. However, but is nowhere as popular as may be suggested by its use in western Chinese restaurants. That old favourite, beef and broccoli is rare here. A few years back a Dutch plumber decided to open a bar/restaurant in town. The  only vegetable he ever served was over-cooked western broccoli. He didn't last long.

Usually stir-fried.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Western Broccoli.

broccoli.jpg

Although not a "Chinese" vegetable, it is available in China. In fact, China is the world's largest producer. However, but is nowhere as popular as may be suggested by its use in western Chinese restaurants. That old favourite, beef and broccoli is rare here. A few years back a Dutch plumber decided to open a bar/restaurant in town. The  only vegetable he ever served was over-cooked western broccoli. He didn't last long.

Usually stir-fried.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Western Broccoli.

Usually stir-fried.

broccoli.jpg