• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Sechium edule

I guess most people are familiar with chayote, the gourd also known among other names, as christophene, vegetable pear, mirliton, choko etc. In Chinese it is 佛手瓜 (Mand: fó shǒu guā; Cant: fat6 sau2 gwaa1 ), literally, Buddha’s hand gourd.

Perhaps less well known is that the leaves and young shoots of the chayote vine are also edible and a popular vegetable in southern China. Often described as 龙须菜/龍須菜 (Mand: lóng xū cài; Cant: lung4 seoi1 coi3), literally 'dragon beard vegetable', they also are sometimes more prosaically described as 佛手瓜苗 (Mand: fó shǒu guā miáo; Cant: fat6 sau2 gwaa1 miu4), meaning chayote shoots. Sometimes they come with pretty white flowers which are also edible.

224637612_chayoteshoots.thumb.jpg.24be255c6240928859d569d0a75a8282.jpg

Chayote shoots are usually simply stir fried with garlic as a green vegetable dish.

chayote.thumb.jpg.e3e966105bf756de3ff05be3e5d9d382.jpg

Stir fried chayote shoots

I'll deal with the chayote gourd separately, when I get round to the many gourds.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Sechium edule

I guess most people are familiar with chayote, the gourd also known among other names, as christophene, vegetable pear, mirliton, choko etc. In Chinese it is 佛手瓜 (Mand: fó shǒu guā; Cant: fat6 sau2 gwaa1 ), literally, Buddha’s hand gourd.

Perhaps less well known is that the leaves and young shoots of the chayote vine are also edible and a popular vegetable in southern China. Often described as 龙须菜/龍須菜 (Mand: lóng xū cài; Cant: lung4 seoi1 coi3), literally 'dragon beard vegetable', they also are sometimes more prosaically described as 佛手瓜苗 (Mand: fó shǒu guā miáo; Cant: fat6 sau2 gwaa1 miu4), meaning chayote shoots. Sometimes they come with pretty white flowers which are also edible.

224637612_chayoteshoots.thumb.jpg.24be255c6240928859d569d0a75a8282.jpg

Chayote shoots are usually simply stir fried with garlic as a green vegetable dish.

chayote.thumb.jpg.e3e966105bf756de3ff05be3e5d9d382.jpg

Stir fried chayote shoots

I'll deal with the chayote gourd itself when I get round to the many gourds.