• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

added image

Allium tuberosum

韭菜 (Mand: jiǔ cài; Cant: gau2 coi3) is known by several names in English including garlic chives, Oriental garlic, Asian chives, Chinese chives, Chinese leek etc.

jiucai.thumb.jpg.84e42af09c950ec7e0a0eec259cd4895.jpg

These also come in two other forms. Those above are the leafy stems. Left to grow a little. they develop flower buds. At this stage, they are sold as 韭花 (Mand: jiǔ huā; Cant: gau2 faa1) where 花 means 'flower'.

1227048793_jiuhua.thumb.jpg.1166f6d4dc8854f9f9886554f3314793.jpg

Then we have 韭黄 (Mand: jiǔ huáng; Cant: gau2 wong4), which are the stems  of the same plant, but grown under reduced light conditions so that they do not develop the green colour, but are yellow, the meaning of 黄. To my palate and nose, this technique also increases the garlic flavour and scent considerably. This is a good thing in my book.

533909591_garlicchives.thumb.jpg.ff86435a4211e56d58e75baab0fa153f.jpg

All of these forms are used to finish off stir fries and also frequently added to various forms of dumplings, especially jiaozi. I've seen the green stems pickled like kimchi and been served the yellow ones just as a vegetable side dish.

Also, the green stems (first picture) are often grilled over charcoal at road side stalls and sold for next to nothing. You can see them in the image below, taken at a roadside grill place in Nanning, Guangxi.

bbq.thumb.jpg.4d592560f15c97516372b3863289f1a7.jpg

Finally, they are used in pancakes in the same manner as scallion pancakes.

liuzhou

liuzhou

added image

Allium tuberosum

韭菜 (Mand: jiǔ cài; Cant: gau2 coi3) is known by several names in English including garlic chives, Oriental garlic, Asian chives, Chinese chives, Chinese leek etc.

These also come in two other forms. Those above are the leafy stems. Left to grow a little. they develop flower buds. At this stage, they are sold as 韭花 (Mand: jiǔ huā; Cant: gau2 faa1) where 花 means 'flower'.

1227048793_jiuhua.thumb.jpg.1166f6d4dc8854f9f9886554f3314793.jpg

Then we have 韭黄 (Mand: jiǔ huáng; Cant: gau2 wong4), which are the stems  of the same plant, but grown under reduced light conditions so that they do not develop the green colour, but are yellow, the meaning of 黄. To my palate and nose, this technique also increases the garlic flavour and scent considerably. This is a good thing in my book.

All of these forms are used to finish off stir fries and also frequently added to various forms of dumplings, especially jiaozi. I've seen the green stems pickled like kimchi and been served the yellow ones just as a vegetable side dish. Also, the green stems (first picture) are often grilled over charcoal at road side stalls and sold for next to nothing. Finally, they are used in pancakes in the same manner as scallion pancakes.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Allium tuberosum

(No picture for now. The supermarket didn't have any today. Most unusual. I'll edit in a picture later.)

All of these forms are used to finish off stir fries and also frequently added to various forms of dumplings, especially jiaozi. I've seen the green stems pickled like kimchi and been served the yellow ones just as a vegetable side dish. Also, the green stems (first picture) are often grilled over charcoal at road side stalls and sold for next to nothing. Finally, they are used in pancakes in the same manner as scallion pancakes.