• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Back to the greenery after a short respite. (I know I said Monday, but an event has been cancelled,so here I am.)

Lycium chinense

310275454_gouqicai.thumb.jpg.c0d35e35f49b7d42383f2cec9b2cc757.jpg

These are the shoots of the wolfberry plant also, more recently, known as the goji plant, source of the goji berries touted by every know-nothing "health expert" as a so-called superfood.

Known in Chinese as 枸杞菜 (Mand: gǒu qǐ cài; Cant: gau2 gei2 coi3, literally goji vegetable) or 枸杞叶/枸杞葉 (Mand: gǒu qǐ yè; Cant:  gau2 gei2 jip6, literally 'goji leaf').

Young  stems are also edible, but more normally the leaves are stripped from older, woody stems. They are simply stir fried or added to hot pots. Another good'un.

I'll deal with the berries separately in due course.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Back to the greenery after a short respite. (I know I said Monday, but an event has been cancelled,so here I am.)

Lycium chinense

These are the shoots of the wolfberry plant also, more recently, known as the goji plant, source of the goji berries touted by every know-nothing "health expert" as a so-called superfood.

Known in Chinese as 枸杞菜 (Mand: gǒu qǐ cài; Cant: gau2 gei2 coi3, literally goji vegetable) or 枸杞叶/枸杞葉 (Mand: gǒu qǐ yè; Cant:  gau2 gei2 jip6, literally 'goji leaf').

Young  stems are also edible, but more normally the leaves are stripped from older, woody stems. They are simply stir fried or added to hot pots. Another good'un.

I'll deal with the separately berries in due course.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Lycium chinense

Known in Chinese as 枸杞菜 (Mand: gǒu qǐ cài; Cant: gau2 gei2 coi3, literally goji vegetable) or 枸杞叶/枸杞葉 Mand: gǒu qǐ yè; Cant:  gau2 gei2 jip6, literally 'goji leaf'.

I'll deal with the separately berries in due course.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Lycium chinense

Known in Chinese as 枸杞菜 (Mand: gǒu qǐ cài; Cant: gau2 gei2 coi3, literally goji vegetable) or 枸杞叶/枸杞葉 Mand: gǒu qǐ yè; Cant:  gau2 gei2 jip6, literally 'goji leaf'.