• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Next, another of my favourites.

Ipomoea batatas - sweet potato shoots.

Although their origin is in the Americas, the sweet potato was introduced to China in the late 16th century and rapidly became popular. It didn't take the Chinese long to figure out that the shoots are even better than the root. In fact,  I don't really like the potatoes, but the shoots are great.

We only get the red skinned variety, so the Chinese name is 红薯苗/紅薯苗 Mand: hóng shǔ miáo; Cant: hung4 syu4 miu4), meaning 'red potato shoot'.

1604019637_sweetpotatoshoots.thumb.jpg.2e2847eba5c185c13c2652b23ad7a8bb.jpg

Again, usually stir fried with garlic and  maybe chilli or used in hot pots. 

I'll say more about the potatoes when I get to root vegetables, probably around 2053.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Ipomoea batatas - sweet potato shoots.

Although their origin is in the Americas, the sweet potato was introduced to China in the late 16th century and rapidly became popular. It didn't take the Chinese long to figure out that the shoots are even better than the root. In fact,  I don't really like the potatoes, but the shoots are great.

We only get the red skinned variety, so the Chinese name is 红薯苗/紅薯苗 Mand: hóng shǔ miáo; Cant: hung4 syu4 miu4), meaning 'red potato shoot'.

I'll say more about the potatoes when I get to root vegetables, probably around 2053.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Ipomoea batatas - sweet potato.