• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Now for an easy one. I'm exhausted!

Spinacia oleracea

I never associated spinach with Chinese cuisine until I got there. Now I learn that China grows 85% of the world's supply.

One thing I like about China is that all the vegetables here are only available seasonally; out-of-season supplies flown halfway across the world are very unusual. And spinach has just started to reappear in the last week.

In Chinese, 菠菜 (Mand: bō cài; Cant: bo1 coi3).

spinach2.thumb.jpg.a8b1ac7ab9e2161b894f058b6b9de396.jpg

spinach1.thumb.jpg.12a4d4e6dc4a279058f26f34d1c1f815.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Now for an easy one. I'm exhausted!

Spinacia oleracea

I never associated spinach with Chinese cuisine until I got there. Now I learn that China grows 85% of the world's supply.

One thing I like about China is that all the vegetables here are only available seasonally; out-of-season supplies flown halfway across the world are very unusual. And spinach has just started to reappear in the last week.

In Chinese, 菠菜 (Mand: bō cài; Cant: bo1 coi3).

spinach2.thumb.jpg.a8b1ac7ab9e2161b894f058b6b9de396.jpg

spinach1.thumb.jpg.12a4d4e6dc4a279058f26f34d1c1f815.jpg