• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 10/17/2018 at 3:24 AM, heidih said:

It is interesting to see the names and the images are great. Practically speaking though I just buy what looks interesting. Asking other shoppers how they treat the greens usually get the "soup or stir-fry" response. I've just learned what I like. One of my fun experiences was walking the dog at a regional park and seeing a Korean woman, elegantly dressed, with a big knife and a basket crouching down cutting a "weed". I asked and she said "for soup" and that I would not like it. I picked some. It was edible chrysanthemum - I liked it

Today is the 9th day of the 9th month in the Chinese calendar, celebrated by the Double Ninth Festival, a day when people like to climb mountains, enjoy the chrysanthemum or pay respects to ancestors. So now seems a good idea to jump ahead of my plan and deal with @heidih's lucky find.

Garland chrysanthemumglebionis coronaria, formerly called chrysanthemum coronarium, is also sometimes known as chrysanthemum greens, chop suey greens, Japanese greens, crown daisy chrysanthemum, edible chrysanthemum, or cooking chrysanthemum. In Chinese, it is 茼蒿 (Mand: tóng hāo; Cant: tung4 hou1).  Whatever name you choose, they are the edible leaves of a variety of chrysanthemum (of course!)

1829201381_GarlandChrysanthemum.thumb.jpg.95609d0a1d952076e057e4285887be6e.jpg

It is a fairly common green vegetable here, mainly used in hot pots and should be added just before serving. Long cooking doesn’t do it any favours – the leaves turn bitter. It is also used in soups, stir fries and in Taiwanese oyster omelettes. It can also be eaten raw in salads.

I like it, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 hours ago, heidih said:

It is interesting to see the names and the images are great. Practically speaking though I just buy what looks interesting. Asking other shoppers how they treat the greens usually get the "soup or stir-fry" response. I've just learned what I like. One of my fun experiences was walking the dog at a regional park and seeing a Korean woman, elegantly dressed, with a big knife and a basket crouching down cutting a "weed". I asked and she said "for soup" and that I would not like it. I picked some. It was edible chrysanthemum - I liked it

Today is the 9th day of the 9th month in the Chinese calendar, celebrated by the Double Ninth Festival, a day when people like to climb mountains, enjoy the chrysanthemum or pay respects to ancestors. So now seems a good idea to jump ahead of my plan and deal with @heidih's lucky find.

Garland chrysanthemum, glebionis coronaria, formerly called chrysanthemum coronarium, is also sometimes known as chrysanthemum greens, chop suey greens, Japanese greens, crown daisy chrysanthemum, edible chrysanthemum, or cooking chrysanthemum. In Chinese, it is 茼蒿 (Mand: tóng hāo; Cant: tung4 hou1).  Whatever name you choose, they are the edible leaves of a variety of chrysanthemum (of course!)

It is a fairly common green vegetable here, mainly used in hot pots and should be added just before serving. Long cooking doesn’t do it any favours – the leaves turn bitter. It is also used in soups, stir fries and in Taiwanese oyster omelettes. It can also be eaten raw in salads.

I like it, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Garland chrysanthemum, glebionis coronaria, formerly called chrysanthemum coronarium, is also sometimes known as chrysanthemum greens, chop suey greens, Japanese greens, crown daisy chrysanthemum, edible chrysanthemum, or cooking chrysanthemum. In Chinese, it is 茼蒿 (Mand: tóng hāo; Cant: tung4 hou1).  Whatever name you choose, they are the edible leaves of a variety of chrysanthemum (of course!)

It is a fairly common green vegetable herem, ainly used in hot pots and should be added just before serving. Long cooking doesn’t do it any favours – the leaves turn bitter. It is also used in soups, stir fries and in Taiwanese oyster omelettes. It can also be eaten raw in salads.

I like it, too.