• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

There is a slightly different cultivar of Napa type cabbage available.

1415478712_.thumb.jpg.ff23fe657272a60ed491e88775c6a3a5.jpg

This is known as 青麻叶大白菜 / 青麻葉大白 (M: qīng má yè dà cài; C: ceng1 maa jip6 daai6 baak6 coi3). This translates as Green Sesame Leaf Large Cabbage. My local supermarket drops part of the name, just going for 青麻白菜. It seems to me that the difference is purely visual. I can detect no difference in taste. That said, the supermarkets and markets all carry both.

I have been unable to find any English name for this version.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is known as 青麻叶大白菜 / 青麻葉大白 (M: qīng má yè dà cài; C: ceng1 maa jip6 daai6 baak6 coi3). This translates as Green Sesame Leaf Large Cabbage. My local supermarket drops the part of the name, just going for 青麻白菜. It seems to me that the difference is purely visual. I can detect no difference in taste. That said, the supermarkets and markets all carry both.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is known as 青麻叶大白菜 / 青麻葉大白 (M: qīng má yè dà; C: ceng1 maa jip6 daai6 baak6 coi3). This translates as Green Sesame Leaf Large Cabbage. My local supermarket drops the part of the name, just going for 青麻白菜. It seems to me that the difference is purely visual. I can detect no difference in taste. That said, the supermarkets and markets all carry both.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is known as 青麻叶大白菜 / 青麻葉大白 (M: qīng má yè dà; C: ceng1 maa jip6 daai6 baak6 coi3). This translates as Green Sesame Leaf Large Bok Choi. My local supermarket drops the part of the name, just going for 青麻白菜. It seems to me that the difference is purely visual. I can detect no difference in taste. That said, the supermarkets and markets all carry both.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is known as 青麻叶大白菜 / 青麻葉大白 (M: qīng má yè dà; C: ceng1 maa jip6 daai6 baak6 coi3). This translates as Green Sesame Leaf Large Bok Choi. My local supermarket drops the part of the name, just going for 青麻白菜. It seems to me that the difference is purely visual. I can detect no difference in taste. That said, the supermarkets and markets all carry both.