• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Samin Nosrat's Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix

blue_dolphin

I just enjoyed watching the 4 episodes of Samin Nosrat's Netflix series.  It has the same name as her James Beard & IACP award winning cookbook, Salt Fat Acid Heat (some eG comments on that here).

In the book, Samin comes off as the best sort of teacher - part teacher/part cheerleader - who truly wants her students to succeed.  The book is info packed and as a result, it reads rather like a textbook.  This series adds the colorful food photography that the book lacks and incorporates her warm personality and enthusiasm, though it only conveys a fraction of the book's information.  

I may try to re-read the book, with a break after each section to watch the relevant episode. 

Recipes from the series will be available online starting Oct 19 at this link, where you can also watch a trailer.  I want to try the focaccia recipe, at least.

Some online mentions from Eater: 

’Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ Is a New Kind of Food TV Show

‘Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ Recap: Samin Nosrat Samples the Bounty of Olive Oil and Parmesan in Italy

‘Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ Recap: Samin Explores the Wide World of Salt in Japan

‘Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ Recap: Samin Heads to Mexico for a Study in Citrus

‘Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ Recap: Nosrat Summons Superior Flavors Using the Power of Fire

Food52: How Our New Favorite Netflix Show Is Making Us Better, Smarter Cooks

Bon Appetit: ‘Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ Is the New Netflix Series That's Very Much Worth Your Time

Food & Wine: 29 Essential Cooking Tips From Samin Nosrat’s ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ on Netflix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I generally loved the show, in particular the lighting; but something weird was going on in the "Acid" show.  I'm not sure what, I'm still pondering it.

Also -- on the "Heat" show, she went on about the back of the oven being the hottest part, but failed to mention the unused convection fan back there. 

In my [totally non-restaurant-] world, convection takes care of a lot of the unevenness issue, at least with sturdy things like meat.  Possibly this is my under-sophistication; but on the other hand, I thought that kind of cook was who she was talking to.  

Edited by SLB (log)

I've now watched all four episodes for the second time. I'm sure I will watch them a third time at some point. I have found this series interesting and informative. The Acid episode presented information I'd never heard before.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;