• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chiles Rellenos, Tex-Mex style

Darienne

Look.  I eat [cooked] kale.  I actually grew with it amongst the regular boiled greens! I'm not a kale-hater, although I am a kale-style hater.  And raw kale makes me unhappy and exasperated.

But kale and cheese???  Seriously?  I might fall out. Even frying can't fix that!

[I realize that this, the foulness of kale plus cheese generally, is a different topic than the initial query, whether putting kale or anything like kale into a roasted-peeled-breaded-fried-and-otherwise-stuffed chile is a think known to the cuisine which invented the glorious wonderful wonder of chiles rellenos.  Just a nod to the mods . . . .]

• Like 1

Chiles Rellenos are common around here, and are always--always--made with poblanos. I've never seen Anaheims here, which I associate with California (possibly incorrectly). We have a large variety of fresh chiles but no Anaheims. In any case, you can use whichever chile appeals to you and is available in your supermarket.

Some time ago I posted "My Spanish Teacher's Chiles Rellenos" in the RecipeGullet section: roasted, peeled poblanos stuffed with a thick piece of queso fresco, coated with a light batter made of separated eggs (whites whipped) and a little flour, slowly shallow fried in oil, drained on paper towels, and then finished in a thin tomato broth. Yes, it's a bit of a production, but you can do them in stages and then just finish them in the tomato broth for serving. In many ways they're almost better the next day, oddly enough. Served with white rice and beans.

I also make a casserole version similar to the ones discussed above, and one for breakfast that's an egg and milk custard type that is very well received. But right now I really want the classic version! I have poblanos in the fridge but no queso fresco, so it will have to be tomorrow. I'll toast the chiles today and put together the rest tomorrow. Yum!

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 4

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

16 hours ago, SLB said:

I got some take-out from this Mexican-food-styled restaurant this afternoon, and was HORRIFIED to see them getting on this all-kale-all-the-time train in the chiles rellenos:

And then I wondered, is greens in chiles rellenos a *thing*?   I grew up in Colorado, and have never seen anything like it, myself.  But, it's not like I've eaten everything, everywhere, and it's not the native cuisine of my growing-up home. 

Anybody with authority?  Anybody?  Chiles stuffed with cheese and KALE?

IMG_1537.jpg

I have no authority other than the complete and utter loathing of kale (as well as all other greens; think of @rotuts and green bell peppers, which I loathe as well). This is a sacrilege, an abomination, and most likely a mortal sin.

Mexican food should remain kale-less. I am indifferent to squiggles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com