• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

brucesw

brucesw

Thanks for this Darienne.  I'm a native Texan but I don't recall that I've ever encountered a Chile Rellenno casserole before.  I'll have to look through some old community and church cookbooks and the like and see if there are any that I just missed. 

I've never liked Chile Rellenos.  My mother loved them and would always order them and it was one of the few Mexican dishes she made at home.  I thought they were always way too greasy and soggy. hers and the restaurant versions  Maybe I just never had a good one but I gave up long ago.

Funny that Lisa Fain makes a sidewise comment on the use of bell peppers.  Really Lisa?  Oh wait, she's a lot younger than me I'm sure and I think she grew up in Houston?, or maybe it was Austin?  I grew up in a small town.  There were no poblanos available so everybody, including the restaurants, made Chile Rellenos with bell peppers.  I was in grad school at UT, ca 1968, when I went with a Hispanic friend who was a student at St. Edwards in south Austin to a little Mexican restaurant on South Congress.  He ordered the Chile Rellenos, which was his favorite dish, and offered me a bite when I told him I couldn't stand the dish.  It was my first encounter with a poblano and I had no idea what I was eating.

brucesw

brucesw

Thanks for this Darienne.  I'm a native Texan but I don't recall that I've ever encountered a Chile Rellenno casserole before.  I'll have to look through some old community and church cookbooks and the like and see if there are any that I just missed. 

I've never liked Chile Rellenos.  My mother loved them and would always order them and it was one of the few Mexican dishes she made at home.  I though they were always way too greasy and soggy.  Maybe I just never had a good one but I gave up long ago.

Funny that Lisa Fain makes a sidewise comment on the use of bell peppers.  Really Lisa?  Oh wait, she's a lot younger than me I'm sure and I think she grew up in Houston?, or maybe it was Austin?  I grew up in a small town.  There were no poblanos available so everybody, including the restaurants, made Chile Rellenos with bell peppers.  I was in grad school at UT, ca 1968, when I went with a Hispanic friend who was a student at St. Edwards in south Austin to a little Mexican restaurant on South Congress.  He ordered the Chile Rellenos, which was his favorite dish, and offered me a bite when I told him I couldn't stand the dish.  It was my first encounter with a poblano and I had no idea what I was eating.