• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1967 - Name of Montreal restaurant

Flyman

Good evening, Back in 1967 when the World's Fair was held on some islands on the St. Lawrence River. My wife (at the time) and I ate in a lovely, older, restaurant that I believe was in a hotel in downtown Montreal.  I don't remember the name (although I thought it was the Lord Beaverbrook but I think I am  incorrect) The restaurant was very fine.  I remember many wait persons and they were very well dressed in what I kind of remember to be black pants, white shirts, black vests, and ties.  The tables had fine linen tablecloths and thick napkins.  I seem to remember more than one server took care of our table. I remember the dining room to be quite spacious and having a number of tables and patrons. I have no recollection of the food but do fondly remember the service and experience.  I was wondering if anyone might remember the name, and history, of this restaurant and if it is still in existence. Thank you.

• Like 1

I was 1 year old at the time, native Montrealer...  your description could be anywhere. The name reminds me of the Beaver Club at the Queen Elizabeth (https://www.fairmont.com/queen-elizabeth-montreal/press-room/beaver-club/). Maybe that's it?

• Like 1

Du beurre ! Donnez-moi du beurre ! Toujours du beurre ! (Fernand Point)

I attended Expo 67. I would have been 11 years old. We sailed up from Hamilton on the boat. 

Didn't eat anywhere posh - we ate on the Expo grounds a couple of times but the rest of the time fed ourselves on the boat. 

I've put the question out to a friend who grew up in Montreal - and I know that @Darienne grew up there and might know.

• Like 4