• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen / Dining Area Renovation

&roid

It's beginning to look very good. The contemporary aesthetic design is very elegant without being pretentious.

BTW, I am sure you have planned to have distraction marks on those glass doors and wall. I know of more than one serious injuries of people walking thru them. Distraction marks  on glass doors and walls are require by law here in the USA in public spaces.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

Distraction marks a very good idea (we have a lot of glass in our office and until the film was applied, I almost walked into it several times) not just for humans, but for birds! Nothing more distressing than hearing the noise of a bird smacking into the glass. Or having them see their reflection and trying to attack it.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 minute ago, &roid said:

I’ve not come across distraction marks - what do they look like? They sound a very good idea if they don’t get in the way of the view too much 

Temporarily, use colored masking tape.

For permanent, search eBay or Amazon, "adhesive backed distraction marks". Come in many designs, from flowers , butterflies, to abstract art.

dcarch 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Temporarily, use colored masking tape.

For permanent, search eBay or Amazon, "adhesive backed distraction marks". Come in many designs, from flowers , butterflies, to abstract art.

dcarch 

Here's what Amazon shows me when  I search for "adhesive backed distraction marks"  Nada.

I have a lot of floor to ceiling windows so I'm interested in options compatible with a modern home. 

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here's what Amazon shows me when  I search for "adhesive backed distraction marks"  Nada.

I have a lot of floor to ceiling windows so I'm interested in options compatible with a modern home. 

Try "privacy film" , Just cut it up and apply.

Very important to have. A friend's daughter had her nose sewn back. Another time, saw a NY Times reporter ran into a glass wall trying to catch his bus. Instead of the bus, he needed an ambulance.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

"Anti-collision window clings" or "anti-collision window decals" are two other search terms. Just for the sake of show, here's a set of hummingbird anti-collision window clings at Amazon. You can find falcons, leaves, geometric patterns, butterflies, and so on. They range in price from inexpensive opaque outlines to beautiful stained-glass-looking dragonflies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Things have really broken down with the kitchen company. They are now over three weeks delayed (on a fit which was meant to take just two). They sent their workshop manager out to inspect things at the end of last week - his view was pretty damning, doesn’t seem like the fitter has done anything that he should have 😡 

I’m sure we’ll get it all sorted but it definitely won’t be done before new year now. Grrrr...

If only things indoors were going as well as outside, the builders have pretty much finished now, the resin floor got poured at the weekend and the last of the electrics have been done out there:

B8341111-CCB4-4886-8CEC-FECFFCE1AA6D.jpeg

DC25FAFC-FEB0-4DAA-8F1E-A644A382EED5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, &roid said:

Things have really broken down with the kitchen company. They are now over three weeks delayed (on a fit which was meant to take just two). They sent their workshop manager out to inspect things at the end of last week - his view was pretty damning, doesn’t seem like the fitter has done anything that he should have 😡 

I’m sure we’ll get it all sorted but it definitely won’t be done before new year now. Grrrr...

If only things indoors were going as well as outside, the builders have pretty much finished now, the resin floor got poured at the weekend and the last of the electrics have been done out there:

I wish I could frowny-face and like at the same time.  Sorry to hear about your troubles, but the outside looks great!

• Like 11

KennethT said it for me.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It finally feels like we are edging nearer the finish line! The first of the worktops went in today, I’m really happy with them so far - great attention to detail with them, such a relief after our stress with the cabinet people. 

Speaking of which, they are finally taking things seriously and want to make things right with the cabinets. Just trying to agree a plan to get a new fitter that we trust in to fix everything. 

The worktop guys guys are back tomorrow to fit the splashback behind the rangetop and (very exciting!) the island. All being well the Wolf will get connected up to the gas and I can actually start cooking! I may even have cooked my last meal on the awful induction plate 😁 (though I’ll believe it all when I see it after the last few weeks!)

2CFA922B-C920-49D0-A831-964E517B5FE4.thumb.jpeg.286e811eb5a8a83198aa83736e94556e.jpegA0BBC068-DAE0-4838-BE0C-A7A05D7894F9.thumb.jpeg.32855e24ae87990278e67879ab3aba91.jpeg65957C3B-BA55-4BD6-8255-A932530FE442.thumb.jpeg.b2412e4f0068c21e9492cba448b9bd21.jpeg802725A1-45B2-4614-BCEA-042872199084.thumb.jpeg.502a188f107bad43f4e6162c3209ec65.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Is that a warming drawer beneath the Wolf?

Alas no, it’s just a gap at the moment but will be filled with another of the regular drawers either side. The rangetop has slotted in where the top drawer of those middle pair used to be. 

• Like 1

Another really good day! The stone guys pretty much finished the island today and were able to get the splashback in early enough that our plumber could get the rangetop connected - look, it works!

85FF6800-B2D3-4CC2-B38C-A2834DBAED65.thumb.jpeg.7bb51b751f07a18135b958070ad0728b.jpeg

We dont have taps yet, and the bank of units around the fridge is miles off being done. But it finally feels like I’ve got a kitchen back 😃😃 I will never again have to cook on that horrendous induction piece of c***!

9F72387A-3C51-4AD9-BFD9-FB0C19DC9B99.thumb.jpeg.497202ac644d1c5eb8db5b727724a1ae.jpeg

B286B6A2-7D7C-4D3E-B457-15CF0FD225EE.thumb.jpeg.c3a0cdac2fce5c93cee9ca5d499e68ad.jpeg

Our furniture arrived too, so tomorrow morning we’ll be unpacking that, trying to get stuff vaguely in order before we go away for the week to see family over Christmas. 

First thing though I’ll be queuing at our butchers for the festive meat order, I’m looking forward to having a bit of space in which to get the turkeys ready.

I’m so much happier today than I’ve been for weeks!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, &roid said:

Another really good day! The stone guys pretty much finished the island today and were able to get the splashback in early enough that our plumber could get the rangetop connected - look, it works!

We dont have taps yet, and the bank of units around the fridge is miles off being done. But it finally feels like I’ve got a kitchen back 😃😃 I will never again have to cook on that horrendous induction piece of c***!

Our furniture arrived too, so tomorrow morning we’ll be unpacking that, trying to get stuff vaguely in order before we go away for the week to see family over Christmas. 

First thing though I’ll be queuing at our butchers for the festive meat order, I’m looking forward to having a bit of space in which to get the turkeys ready.

I’m so much happier today than I’ve been for weeks!

So nice!   Congratulations!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

I'm so happy for you! It looks amazing and not far to go to have everything finished, right? You are going to LOVE this space!  🙂

Fingers crossed there are about three days of cabinet work left to do. Although I’m a little sceptical of this as I suspect they are going to have to undo quite a lot of bad work that the previous fitter did...

After that, the stone people are back to fit the wall cladding near the dining area, a small worktop in a breakfast cabinet and the tops near the bbq. A few small electrical jobs and we’ll be done!

It finally feels within our grasp. It might, and I’ll whisper this, even be starting to feel worth the pain!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1