• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen / Dining Area Renovation

&roid

We’ve lived in our house for about twelve years and did a small extension not long after we moved in. With our growing family (son number two arrived this July) we wanted to get a bit more living space so started looking at options about a year ago. We have a late Victorian house with a separate dining room, as nice as this is it’s been a big waste of space - we probably used it two or three times a year. So the plan was to extend the kitchen to add a decent sized dining area and free up the dining room for something better. 

The kitchen we had is under ten years old so we’ve decided to keep some parts of it, adding new worktops, a large rangetop and a breakfast cabinet with pocket doors to hide away the toaster and coffee machine. 

We’re about halfway through the build at the moment so thought I’d post up some pictures of our progress. Hopefully we’ll be finished this side of Christmas... hopefully!

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title. (log)
  • Like 7

We’ve been able to keep an oven, dishwasher and small sink. The builders have been great and built us a temporary worktop to get by on - I even got my knife block back up on the wall. 

My brother loaned me a single burner induction plate. It’s been hilariously bad (think it cost about £30 so not surprising). Even on a medium low setting it overheats after a few minutes. I can just about manage scrambled eggs but pan frying meat is a disaster, mildly boiled chops... mmmm

163A8EED-1786-4C11-9C04-5048198C21B7.jpeg

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Like 7

All I remember of our kitchen renovation is that it was the worst 6 weeks of my life. And that was with a project that went smoothly and great contractors.

Like you we set up a temporary kitchen. Used it three times because it was such a PITA.

I'm looking forward to seeing your project evolve.

• Like 1

Our kitchen renovation was neither as smooth nor as quick as gfweb's, but like him we're happy with the results. I'm looking forward to sharing your adventure without having to share the discomfort. :wink:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Same here....took much longer than anticipated but after all was done, it was (nearly) worth all the hassle.  We went on vacation thinking it would be finished when we returned;

how foolish we were.

Hope yours is much less stressful.

• Like 2

We went through this also.  The end result was well worth it.  Our kitchen was completely gutted and I still have this image of one of our cats, sitting there, peering in and looking from side to side as if to say "where did the kitchen go"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, &roid said:

We’ve lived in our house for about twelve years and did a small extension not long after we moved in. With our growing family (son number two arrived this July) we wanted to get a bit more living space so started looking at options about a year ago. We have a late Victorian house with a separate dining room, as nice as this is it’s been a big waste of space - we probably used it two or three times a year. So the plan was to extend the kitchen to add a decent sized dining area and free up the dining room for something better. 

The kitchen we had is under ten years old so we’ve decided to keep some parts of it, adding new worktops, a large rangetop and a breakfast cabinet with pocket doors to hide away the toaster and coffee machine. 

We’re about halfway through the build at the moment so thought I’d post up some pictures of our progress. Hopefully we’ll be finished this side of Christmas... hopefully!

Looks like a high level of modern finish, especially for a Victorian.

It's odd how fashions change.  I was in a 1907 bourgeosis mansion in Paris last year, and back then, the worst possible feature a house could have was the sight and smell of cooking!  The architect included massive concrete caissons and a huge ventilation system to make sure the dining experience was only on the family's plates.  Even the staff dining area was isolated. 

Cubain range.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, boilsover said:

Please tell me you didn't roast that baby?

The baby thinks this whole project is hilarious - why would you bring me into this building site??? 

After a LOT of deliberation we’ve gone for a worktop made from Neolith. We’ve had enough samples of different materials to clad a few dozen kitchens but this seems the best bet. It’s a sintered stone product that will hopefully stand the test of my less than delicate cooking style - I just want something I can scrape and burn and pummel without destroying it. We’ll see how it works out 

this is the colourway we’ve chosen:

AFE39773-010C-42FD-8A8C-743F807B2DBE.jpeg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, &roid said:

The original kitchen was L-shaped with a small dining area:

0DAA9EEA-23D1-48C2-9500-642AA96E1DAA.jpeg

That is a very small sink. Is that the only sink? Is this considered normal size sink in your area? 

Interesting picture. What kind of lens/camera? Doesn't look like a fish eye lens. 

dcarch

• Like 1

20 hours ago, boilsover said:

It's odd how fashions change.  I was in a 1907 bourgeosis mansion in Paris last year, and back then, the worst possible feature a house could have was the sight and smell of cooking!  The architect included massive concrete caissons and a huge ventilation system to make sure the dining experience was only on the family's plates.  Even the staff dining area was isolated. 

Truthfully I'm not entirely a fan of those big, open-plan kitchen/living areas. I'm well past the age of having to keep an eye on my kids (sure, there are grandkids, but that's only a part-time gig), and entertaining is not really my thing. When we do have a houseful of people, the kitchen is my retreat from the hubbub. All things considered, I'd much rather do my cooking and (especially) cleaning in a space where there's room for no more than one or two people to be around.

Apparently the newest thing in some quarters is to have a "mess kitchen" where you do the actual grunt work, and then the "main" kitchen where you reheat things, warm a sauce, and feel like Martha as you mix your cocktails and act blase about it all.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Apparently the newest thing in some quarters is to have a "mess kitchen" where you do the actual grunt work, and then the "main" kitchen where you reheat things, warm a sauce, and feel like Martha as you mix your cocktails and act blase about it all.

I have seen some modern homes with a secondary "butler's" kitchen, which can basically do it all. I know one couple who have this setup (and one outdoors) and never use any of them.

• Haha 1

I'm presently house-shopping, and I'm paying particular attention to kitchen layouts. I want plenty of room; I enjoy people keeping me company while I cook, and an open plan kitchen forces me to keep it cleaner that I otherwise might, cleanliness being somewhat remote from godliness in my world.  I like a island with work space on one side and seating on the other where someone can nurse a cocktail and visit. And God knows, I don't want two kitchens. One is a gracious plenty to keep up with.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When we did a kitchen remodel it was an open plan with no barrier at all between the "great room" and kitchen. I entertained alot so it was nice to be part of things but also nice to "escape". The sink and stove were furthest from the great room. The island we did was pretty big. One half had cabinets and a mini sink (sink was stoopid) and the other had open knee space and low bar stools around it. That worked really well for our small family everday dining as well as giving the guests who wanted to have kitchen time a place to hang out without being "underfoot". I rule my kitchen ;)  I loved the granite countertops and big splash. He ran the splash up to the window sill and up to lower edge of cabinets so it looked clean.  The sink had a big window above and the stove had a window adjacent so I always felt connected. I had lots of counterspace so the island was more of a bridge. If I can find a picture I'll post. 

Edited by heidih (log)

OK this is only image I have. It is my friend and god-daughter at the open knee space end of island doing our annual egg coloring. They are facing towards the fridge. 

2009eggs.JPG

• Like 3

Oh and a word on cabinet knobs. I found super cool turtle knobs at Restoration Hardare. What a disappointment. They did not work well with the way the cabinetry was manufctured and I had to run out and grab the brushed stainless round ones at Home Depot. They worked out well. Comfortable to grasp and clean. The things we never consider that make a big difference...

Edited by heidih (log)