• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Query about lamb fell and sous vide

TdeV

@Okanagancook, thanks.

I vacuum sealed the partial leg in a food safe bag already, but I'm going to bring it out for a dinner party this weekend. I've already paid for the bag and would be disinclined to spring for a second one, but I get very anxious around dinner parties and try to do as much in advance as possible.

Question: Is the fell easier to remove when the meat is cooked? (Hence I should wait until after cooking)

I do not know if it is easier to remove after cooking because I take off before.  It likely isn’t that difficult but takes time and may rip some meat off with it.  I would not be worried about spending money on a 15 cent bag.  Do it up right.

• Like 1

if fell is what I think it is

ie a very tough thin membrane 

use a boning knife or similar knife to remove it in strips

it doesn't ' cook ' well and your rub or spices might have a hard time penetrating it to flavor the lamb.

• Like 3