• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

That sauce is recipe is OK - it has some of the ingredients that make your sauce at home taste like you get in an American Chinese restaurant (not claiming it's authentic Chinese).  To get that flavor you also need to add a touch of red pepper flakes.  Not enough so you feel the heat, but there's an undertone you need from them.  As someone who doesn't like spicy hot things, I always left the pepper flakes out, but a cooking class taught me different.   Sesame oil, garlic, fresh ginger and sugar are also key ingredients, but they are in that sauce recipe.  I would probably omit the water and vegetable oil and up the sugar, but I also use cream sherry which also adds sweetness. FWIW, I haven't used oyster sauce in years - just soy.  Bu then I usually also add Hoisin sauce because I like that flavor profile, and I don't have any issue with LKK's version.

mgaretz

mgaretz

That sauce is recipe is OK - it has some of the ingredients that make your sauce at home taste like you get in an American Chinese restaurant (not claiming it's authentic Chinese).  To get that flavor you also need to add a touch of red pepper flakes.  Not enough so you feel the heat, but there's an undertone you need from them.  As someone who doesn't like spicy hot things, I always left the pepper flakes out, but a cooking class taught me different.   Sesame oil, garlic, fresh ginger and sugar are also key ingredients, but they are in that sauce recipe.  I would probably omit the water and vegetable oil and up the sugar, but I also use cream sherry which also adds sweetness.