• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Any thoughts on using a donabe with induction or with a solid top?  And yes, I do love The Japan Times.

There do exist induction compatible donabes -- not shocking, I guess, given the huge popularity of induction in Japan. This attractive but pricey one is readily available in the US:

Kinto Kakomi IH Donabe

There are many more (at lower price points) on amazon.co.jp but I'm not sure how you'd get them here. 

Some of them appear to use some kind of special ceramic that reacts to induction (maybe with high iron content?). Others like this one seem to use a metal insert *inside* the pot, presumably with a thinner/flatter bottom than traditional donabe.

My guess is the efficiency isn't amazing, but for the low/slow cooking style of a donabe it may not matter.

No experience with any of these myself -- just was fascinated by your question!

dtremit

dtremit

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Any thoughts on using a donabe with induction or with a solid top?  And yes, I do love The Japan Times.

There do exist induction compatible donabes -- not shocking, I guess, given the huge popularity of induction in Japan. This attractive but pricey one is readily available in the US:

Kinto Kakomi IH Donabe

There are many more (at lower price points) on amazon.co.jp but I'm not sure how you'd get them here. 

Some of them appear to use some kind of special ceramic that reacts to induction (maybe with high iron content?). Others like this one seem to use a metal insert *inside* the pot, presumably with a thinner/flatter bottom than traditional donabe.

No experience with any of these myself -- just was fascinated by your question!