• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Vivian Howard ( Deep Run Roots ) cookbook

rotuts

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

she also mentions hurricane Florence in this article 

She is selling "Country as Cornbread" T-shirts to raise money for hurricane relief in Jones County, NC here on her website.

“In the long, wet wake of Hurricane Florence I’ve gotten a thousand calls and notes of concern about the state of things in eastern North Carolina. Lucky for me, my world is fine. Around me, however, the landscape is decidedly different. Just 30 miles from here, Jones County, N.C., was badly battered. The national news didn't make it there as Jones County is rural with 20 percent of its residents living below the poverty line. It’s a place that can be easily overlooked. Many of these people didn’t have much before the flood and now they have nothing. Join me in raising money to help these families rebuild and begin again.

“You may have heard the catch phrase ‘hurricane recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.’ It’s true. Florence will linger a long time in Wilmington, New Bern and Morehead City. But those places have a voice and a unified effort to rebuild. Jones County is way, way off the beaten path with no city to share its story. Please buy a shirt, share this link and make sure rural North Carolina is a part of the marathon.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1