• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there an entomologist in the house?

pastrygirl

I have a slab of stone, I think it’s quartz, that I stored in my garage over the summer. The garage is kind of gross and buggy, there used to be a ton of old books in there so there were silverfish and the spiders who eat them. I don’t store paper goods out there but I figured stone would be safe. Yesterday I dusted off the bug poo and dragged the stone into the kitchen. Now I’m noticing tiny little perfections all over it, little spots where the stone has been etched into and catch when I run a fingernail across. I’m pretty sure they weren’t there in May. Is bug poo caustic enough to cause this? Or am I imagining things?

Marble and limestone are slowly eaten away by acid rain, so too, I bet, with acid bug poop. They can both be sanded smooth again. When I worked in construction, I used to collect the scraps of marble left over from marble door thresholds to make little chess pieces, so I know that it can be easily sanded smooth.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Marble and limestone are slowly eaten away by acid rain, so too, I bet, with acid bug poop. They can both be sanded smooth again. When I worked in construction, I used to collect the scraps of marble left over from marble door thresholds to make little chess pieces, so I know that it can be easily sanded smooth.

HC

Great, I might have to try sanding it smooth again for the sake of sanitation - to eliminate nooks for crud to lodge in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

It might be marble, I don’t remember. White with grey veining. The little spots are only a few mm, and won’t affect much, just odd.  F37BC6EC-4440-4190-8DFB-884D84601B50.thumb.jpeg.c92b0e38cf2278c1be8f7758434fad53.jpeg

That's marble

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

It might be marble, I don’t remember. White with grey veining. The little spots are only a few mm, and won’t affect much, just odd.  F37BC6EC-4440-4190-8DFB-884D84601B50.thumb.jpeg.c92b0e38cf2278c1be8f7758434fad53.jpeg

Looks marble-y

I would definitely start with a finer grit sandpaper than 100, I probably start was nothing coarser than 400.  You can always go to something coarser if needed but if you start with something course and get deep scratches it's going to be hard to get them out.  As mentioned by a PP, look online for instructions for repairing marble surfaces.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If they catch your fingernail they are not tiny. I'm not sure hand sanding will be a practical way to smooth it out. Might be cheaper to go to a countertop place and buy a remnant 

• Like 1

Regular sandpaper will not work very well.

Use silicone carbide paper, or lapidary  silicone  grits, or diamond grinding plate.

Polishing stone requires a lot of material and work.

Send it to a stone shop  instead.

dcarch

• Like 1

It was a remnant, meant to be utilitarian and already has a few nicks on the edges so it doesn't have to be a showpiece as long as flaws don't harbor bacteria.  I guess it's otherwise non-porous and easily clean-able.  I got tired of the warped prep tables at my last kitchen and wanted something perfectly flat and level for truffle-making,  now in my new kitchen it's covering most of that weird not-really-stainless table that turns everything grey, so still an improvement.  I don't want to spend more money on it at the moment, maybe I'll see what the bottom, non-polished side looks like. Or probably just live with it :/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

So I just started getting ads for granite on my facebook page. Right after this conversation. Now Google trolls eGullet?

No. Facebook and Google troll your computer.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

So I just started getting ads for granite on my facebook page. Right after this conversation. Now Google trolls eGullet?

Facebook follows you everywhere on the web, unless you use something like this Firefox extension.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning