• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Petty and Maxwell House Coffee

heidih

I thought this anecdote was quite interesting so I'm sharing  https://uproxx.com/music/tom-petty-warren-zane-biographer-maxwell-house-coffee-anecdote/

"Good to the last drop"  ;)

ETA: second link to original article  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/tom-petty-death-biographer-warren-zanes-731414/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 6

Maxwell House used to be a very good coffee. I grew up with it. In the 1977 photo of Tom Petty with coffee service before him depicted in the linked "Rolling Stone" article, it is quite possible that was the best coffee available to him at the time. I know it was to me.

A few years back, the quality dropped off dramatically, probably a product of the company focusing on shareholder return rather than consumer benefit. Sadly, most consumers don't notice. I remember those days of opening a new three-pound tin of Maxwell House and the aroma that rolled out around the room. My grandma's favorite photo was of me milking one of their dairy cows into such a three pound tin at the ripe old age of three. Nowadays the containers are plastic, the beans and aroma and just plain quality of the coffee has gone to the devil. Also (pet peeve) the weight of the containers continues to shrink while the bean counters come up with new, deceptive ways to make that less detectable by the consumer.

So maybe the coffee snobs should not be so quick to judge the talented Mr. Petty's taste in coffee.

I've written about the demise of Maxwell House, which I also used to revere, on eG before.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I don't remember the brand's glory days, except for the always suave Ricardo Montalban* in the TV ads. By the time I came to coffee-drinking age I found it to be pretty poor (and this is well, well before coffee "snobdom" came along). My parents varied for decades between MH and Folger's, whichever was on sale, but now that I've spoiled her with other stuff my mom can't enjoy a cup of either brand any more.

I should probably have mixed feelings about that, but I don't.

*I saw a hilarious interview with him sometime in the 80s or 90s, where he told the story of a local deli he patronized at his home in New York. Apparently the owner was convinced his name was Mendelbaum, and treated him as a long-lost distant cousin. :)

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I was a Maxwell House drinker for years before I discovered Brazilian coffee at Cafe Brazil in Dallas. I have been ordering beans from them for more than 10 years. Best coffee in the world, at least to me.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 10/6/2018 at 9:11 AM, chromedome said:

I don't remember the brand's glory days, except for the always suave Ricardo Montalban* in the TV ads.

That might be this one. And I also remember this older one as well from when I was just a kid. There is also this montage that I don't remember any of them, because I might have been to young. 

I also found this out.

It's a shame Maxwell House has fallen so far. It used to be really great.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <