• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tenderizing hammer with stew meat, a-la schnitzel

jedovaty

HI there:  A friend of mine went hunting and gifted me some stew meat.  I'm not a fan of stew, so I'm thinking of doing something else with this very lean protein. 

Would using a tenderizing hammer to pound out stew meat and fry it up like schnitzel be any good, or too chewy?  Or maybe pound it out, then sous vide at lower temp for 24+ hours, then fry?  I know other options could be to run it through a grinder, or make chili (which is just another way of making stew), etc.

Thanks for reading :)

I don't see why you couldn't sous vide it, then fry. Or broil. Sort of like beef carnitas, depending on the seasoning you used. 

One of my favorites, which doesn't use stew meat, but could: boil the beef with onion and a bay leaf until tender. Cool, then shred, pulling out any fat. Marinate in lime juice, oregano and garlic for 30 mintues, countertop. Saute with sliced onions over medium high heat until crispy and browned.

Vaca frita -- literally, fried cow.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What kind of meat is it?  People go hunting for all kinds of game, it could be dear, rabbit, squirrel etc.. Each 1 of those can be cooked quite differently.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thank you for the replies. 

I went ahead and gave it a shot this weekend.  The meat was antelope, haha, sorry about missing an important piece, D'OH!  It was already quite tender after smashing to about 1/8" , so I did not do a long sous vide, only an hour at 132F.  Resulting texture of the meat was tender and moist, if a tiny bit chewy.  As long as I didn't breathe, it tasted like a mild meat.. the "rusty" aroma of this meat was a bit off putting, maybe next time a marinade in something acidic would be helpful. 

I've got one pound of "ground select" left, I don't think it is ground yet, so I need to figure out what to do with it (not chili or spaghetti).

antelope schnitzel.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't use a hammer on beef. I use a meat cuber. Mine is just a hand held roller with a bunch of blades that cut 1/4 inch stitch like slices into the meat without cutting completely through. It makes the best chopped beef sandwiches.