• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe apps

ksong1189

I have found that the best recipes are on curated websites that only use tested recipes. Saveur, Food & Wine, Epicurious, Cook's Illustrated, Milk Street, and Martha Stewart are the prominent ones.

Many apps are just recycling recipes from Allrecipes and that's just a swamp filled with mediocrity. I also find that a goodly number of Pinterest recipes don't work -someone created a cool photograph, but it cannot be replicated and be edible.

Honestly, there's a huge amount of value in the classics like Escoffier and Ranhofer. And, of course, we're always learning more about the science behind it all and the Modernist Cuisine books give us the ability to refine and improve upon the past. And we're also seeing many more regional cookbooks giving us tested recipes from around the world.

Some great chefs have youtube channels, example, and I enjoy them. We have a Youtube thread here and there's obviously a lot to explore. I enjoy seeking technique videos more than recipe videos, though. (like how to braid various types of bread) I will also admit that I have watched a lot of poor quality youtube videos with untrained people making low-quality food.

Ultimately, I'd rather grab a book that I trust and skim the recipes to see if I want to make something rather than being committed to watching one seven-minute video that may not be what I was looking for. In seven minutes I can vet a dozen recipes from a trusted book or two and be done.

• Like 6

I have, though, always been pretty happy with the recipes I've picked up from eGullet! I save a few from the NYT Cooking, a few from Food 52, some from Food and Wine, and many from friends who share them on Facebook, in addition to the excellent sources @Lisa Shock mentions above. I'm wary of mass-market websites that push content on Facebook, like Taste of Home, 12 Tomatoes, etc. 

As far as apps go, I am fond of the Copy Me That app that copies recipes for you.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

I have found that the best recipes are on curated websites that only use tested recipes. Saveur, Food & Wine, Epicurious, Cook's Illustrated, Milk Street, and Martha Stewart are the prominent ones.

Many apps are just recycling recipes from Allrecipes and that's just a swamp filled with mediocrity. I also find that a goodly number of Pinterest recipes don't work -someone created a cool photograph, but it cannot be replicated and be edible.

Honestly, there's a huge amount of value in the classics like Escoffier and Ranhofer. And, of course, we're always learning more about the science behind it all and the Modernist Cuisine books give us the ability to refine and improve upon the past. And we're also seeing many more regional cookbooks giving us tested recipes from around the world.

Some great chefs have youtube channels, example, and I enjoy them. We have a Youtube thread here and there's obviously a lot to explore. I enjoy seeking technique videos more than recipe videos, though. (like how to braid various types of bread) I will also admit that I have watched a lot of poor quality youtube videos with untrained people making low-quality food.

Ultimately, I'd rather grab a book that I trust and skim the recipes to see if I want to make something rather than being committed to watching one seven-minute video that may not be what I was looking for. In seven minutes I can vet a dozen recipes from a trusted book or two and be done.

I absolutely love recipes from Epicurious! If I'm not watching a video off YouTube (usually for specific or new techniques because I'm a visual learner), I get my recipes off Epicurious. I have a lenovo smart display that sits on my kitchen counter so whenever I need some dinner ideas, I just ask it to pull up recipes from Epicurious or Bon Appetit and skim through the steps. Loads of inspiration I can get from these two websites. I tend to only let it read out the instructions to me when i'm trying out a new baking recipe. I don't like forgetting technical steps along the way so it's useful to have an 'audio assistant' leading the way. 

@kayb copy me that sounds cool. I'll be sure to check out...it looks great for meal planning in advance. Thanks! 

@gfweb yeah i agree, it's mostly for concepts/inspiration. Sometimes when I'm on Instagram I check out short videos from buzzfeed food/tasty for ideas. Quite nifty when I'm on the go or just trying to kill time. 

Edited by ksong1189
format error (log)

9 hours ago, kayb said:

I have, though, always been pretty happy with the recipes I've picked up from eGullet! I save a few from the NYT Cooking, a few from Food 52, some from Food and Wine, and many from friends who share them on Facebook, in addition to the excellent sources @Lisa Shock mentions above. I'm wary of mass-market websites that push content on Facebook, like Taste of Home, 12 Tomatoes, etc. 

As far as apps go, I am fond of the Copy Me That app that copies recipes for you.

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I've always liked Smitten Kitchen.

I knew I was missing some sites! I also use Serious Eats, I like their research.

• Like 3