• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My gravlax has a fishy smell. Any advice about the cause? Can it be corrected?

eugenep

I dry brined it in salt, gin, dill sugar for about 3 days. 

Texture changed to dry on outside and moist inside. 

A lot of recipes online are all the same. 

That's okay that it was uneven etc. on the dry texture but my biggest irk is that it has a fishy smell. Like strong fishy stinky smell. Not rotting and unsafe but stinky stinky fishy oil smell. 

Some guy said in a comment that wet brine will result in no fishy smell. 

You guys think this will work? Does yours stink as well? If yours doesn't, do you know why mine stinks? I tried the get fresh etc. as I can from my fish monger (but it's not like I could trace the veracity of the supply chain etc.). 

I checked out this thread but couldn't find or do a narrower search re the stink smell at 

Edited by Smithy
Spelling, grammar, punctuation adjusted. (log)

I use Costco salmon for gravlax all the time. 

If there's dark meat on the fish it will be fishy...carve that stuff off. 

I give it a good salting...sugaring...whatever spice...and put it dry into a zip lock bag...place it on a dish...put a flat bottom plate atop...place I big can San Marzano tomatoes atop that...in the fridge....turn daily . 

Its never dry outside. Was it in plastic?

Edited by gfweb (log)

Oh. I wrapped it in a plastic bag and did the draining but not flipping and pressing.  

Thanks for the tip about the dark meat. I cut pieces of those off and tried it again and it didn't have that gross fishy odor. 

I heard that the bloodline of the salmon will be super fishy in smell and aroma and is too be avoided but I guess that applies to all dark parts - including the light brown color flesh?? 

• Like 1