• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with a bunch of blah plums?

Kim Shook

Baking or roasting intensifies flavors. Leave peel on. I made a small batch jam with some tasteless ones a while back and they put out some flavor. I used some warm spices to encourage that and some acidity. Raw sadly is probably compost headed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep roast them.  Does wonders for blah strawberries too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

yes! roast, then simmer them down with a little oj, apple juice, cider...just something fruity and make a plum sauce. Great on pork ribs. google a recipe for a starter batch but I use whatever I have on hand to get a carmalized fruity viscus sauce that will stick on meat finishing up on the grill. star anise is a must and I always use ginger (fresh but dried will deliver as well) and whatever sugars I have on hand.  have a mouli ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, highchef said:

yes! roast, then simmer them down with a little oj, apple juice, cider...just something fruity and make a plum sauce. Great on pork ribs. google a recipe for a starter batch but I use whatever I have on hand to get a carmalized fruity viscus sauce that will stick on meat finishing up on the grill. star anise is a must and I always use ginger (fresh but dried will deliver as well) and whatever sugars I have on hand.  have a mouli ?

I don't have a mouli.  I was thinking of pressing them through a potato ricer.  

That's a nice solution. I tried roasting some blah peaches recently, tossed with sugar and a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar. They came out semi-dried, with a nicely peachy intensified flavor, but it seems I needed more liquid to get results like yours. They're good snacks, anyway.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown