• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Escoffier's 40 minute scrambled eggs

Mullinix18

I have seen referenced in several places on the internet, including Wikipedia, a stat about escoffier recommending 40 minutes for scrambled eggs in a Bain Marie. I cant find where this number is from. On Wikipedia it refers to the book I currently own, the "Escoffier le guide culinaire" with forward by Heston Blumenthal by h. L. Cracknell...specificly page 157 for the 40 minute cooking time of scrambled eggs but it's not in my book on that page! Even tho there is the recipe for scrambled eggs on that page... I've seen the 1903 first edition online.. And it's not in there either.... Where is this number from?? Id like to know in case there is some even more complete book or something out there that I'm missing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

I have the 1969 published "The Escoffier Cookbook and guide to the fine art of cookery"  which is a translation of the book Guide Culinaire published in France.  On page 180 under "459-Scrambled Eggs" he says this, if it is of any assistance...no time mentioned:

"In old cookery, scrambled eggs were sanctioned only when cooked in a bain-marie.  This measure certainly ensured their being properly cooked, but it lengthened the procedure.  The latter may therefore be shortened by cooking the eggs the usual way, in a pan in direct contact with the fire; but in this case the heat must be moderate, in order that, the process of cooking being progressive and gradual, perfect incorporation of the eggs (effecting the smoothness of the preparation) may result."

Sorry that's all I've got.  Except the number 157 might be the number of the entry, like the 459 above.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

My edition (1965, Andre Simon foreword) says "In the old days, scrambled eggs were made in a bain-marie; there was more certainty of them being perfectly cooked, but the operation took longer." No mention of time and the text recommends a heavy based pan over moderate heat with continual stirring. See my quote below to regain appropriate perspective on Wikipedia.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 1 year later...

Long before Gordon Ramsay appeared on the scene, a friend who had been a chef at the Huntington Hotel for many years, prepared the Escoffier eggs for me one morning when I stopped by to pick him up when we were going on a "wild edibles" walk with one of the Indian tour people (also before the "Native American" label was adopted.)

I told him that they were quite nice but I still thought mine were better, as I had learned from my grandmother's cook ten years before.  

What I really wanted to know was how he prepared the Melba toast that was so perfect.  I didn't learn that until 20 years later when he retired... but by that time, he had adopted my method of preparing scrambled eggs but only at home.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

9 hours ago, Dilu said:

I know you are talking about Escoffier, but this sounds a lot like "Gordon Ramsay's scrambled eggs. It's the same idea. He says it takes 20 minutes... I usually make them in between 20 and 30 minutes.

Check it out and see if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

I watched the video.  The eggs did not look appetizing.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The very worst scrambled eggs are those found in diners where the cook ladles a serving of whipped eggs onto a screaming hot griddle where they form a thin layer that cooks in a moment. He then chops them a bit and shovels them up onto a plate. Vile. 

• Like 2

Ramsay’s eggs looked like paste and most restaurant scrambled eggs should stay in the kitchen.

For me, scrambled eggs are best enjoyed at home where one can cook them the way they are liked best.

We like them gently cooked, stirred slowly resulting in soft lumps of egg in a creamy coating.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

For me, scrambled eggs are best enjoyed at home where one can cook them the way they are liked best.

I agree. I have known people who like them so dry you could sprinkle them. I like them with curds large enough to scoop up on my fork yet still moist and creamy. Like others, I find Ramsay’s eggs most unappetizing. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

The very worst scrambled eggs are those found in diners where the cook ladles a serving of whipped eggs onto a screaming hot griddle where they form a thin layer that cooks in a moment. He then chops them a bit and shovels them up onto a plate. Vile. 

I absolutely detest that.  And that's how they also make an omelette.  A thin layer of cooked egg they fold into an omelette.  And the diners gloat over it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Ross said:

And that's how they also make an omelette

And then there is this - the perfect mixture of omelette and scrambled eggs (creamy, with little solid specks in it) ... feel free to start at 2:25min 😉

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

And then there is this - the perfect mixture of omelette and scrambled eggs (creamy, with little solid specks in it) ... feel free to start at 2:25min 😉

Well that was a surprise!

• Like 1