• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

1 hour ago, curls said:

@Jim D. Staunton's customer base is starting to be interested in quality and the prices are going up -- that is if the acclaim that The Shack, https://www.theshackva.com/sample-menu, is getting is drawing in locals as well as out of towners.

For pricing, I would go with raising the pricing to $1.50/piece now (vs. staggering your price increase). If you can, sweeten the deal for your favorite customers by giving them a little something extra (lagniappe) with their purchase. You decide the criteria for being a favorite customer (close friend, family, regular customer, large order, etc.).

You are certainly right about the changing landscape in Staunton (oldtimers are alarmed at how fast this is happening--getting too "artsy"). It's acquiring a bit of an Asheville, N.C., vibe with a resident Shakespeare theater and numerous music festivals, not to mention the glass blowing place with which you are familiar). Some of those people are making up my newer customer list. Yes, The Shack gets customers (and reviews) from D.C.; it can be difficult to get a table now. Zynodoa, a restaurant with "inspired Southern cuisine," is also drawing crowds, has a new chef who worked at one of Thomas Keller's places (my chocolates are on the menu there).

I am really intrigued by your lagniappe idea. I already give the "trimmings" from slabs cut on the guitar to some of my closest friends, and though I was embarrassed to offer this at first, I discovered they love it, I guess it's the idea of a freebie (a manager at Zynodoa now looks for the trimmings packet to arrive). And I do sometimes have leftover or slightly damaged bonbons that could be packaged as you suggest.

Jim D.

Jim D.

6 minutes ago, curls said:

@Jim D. Staunton's customer base is starting to be interested in quality and the prices are going up -- that is if the acclaim that The Shack, https://www.theshackva.com/sample-menu, is getting is drawing in locals as well as out of towners.

For pricing, I would go with raising the pricing to $1.50/piece now (vs. staggering your price increase). If you can, sweeten the deal for your favorite customers by giving them a little something extra (lagniappe) with their purchase. You decide the criteria for being a favorite customer (close friend, family, regular customer, large order, etc.).

You are certainly right about the changing landscape in Staunton (oldtimers are alarmed at how fast this is happening--getting too "artsy"). It's acquiring a bit of an Asheville, N.C., vibe with a resident Shakespeare theater and numerous music festivals, not to mention the glass blowing place with which you are familiar). Some of those people are making up my newer customer list. Yes, The Shack gets customers (and reviews) from D.C.; it can be difficult to get a table now. Zynodoa, a restaurant with "inspired Southern cooking," is also drawing crowds, has a new chef who worked at one of Thomas Keller's places (my chocolates are on the menu there).

I am really intrigued by your lagniappe idea. I already give the "trimmings" from slabs cut on the guitar to some of my closest friends, and though I was embarrassed to offer this at first, I discovered they love it, I guess it's the idea of a freebie (a manager at Zynodoa now looks for the trimmings packet to arrive). And I do sometimes have leftover or slightly damaged bonbons that could be packaged as you suggest.