• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure cooker and air fryer all in one

Anna N

I'm thinking about doing a wild duck in there for dinner this evening...this would be my first time using it.  @JAZ I don't supposed you might have tested a duck in this thing have you?  Anyone have any ideas how long and at what temp?

I usually roast my ducks in the CSO at 450F and it takes around 20 mins to get an internal temp of about 140F which is what I shoot for in wild duck.

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm thinking about doing a wild duck in there for dinner this evening...this would be my first time using it.  @JAZ I don't supposed you might have tested a duck in this thing have you?  Anyone have any ideas how long and at what temp?

I usually roast my ducks in the CSO at 450F and it takes around 20 mins to get an internal temp of about 140F which is what I shoot for in wild duck.

Poor duck gets shot twice?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I didn't test duck in it, so I'm afraid I don't have any advice. I did cook chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on) -- pressure cooked for 5 minutes, with 12 minutes at 375 under the crisping lid. Not sure if that helps or not.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2018 at 11:35 AM, dcarch said:

Do they tell you what pressure it develops?

dcarch

When I was writing the book, I asked my contact at Ninja about that and was told it reaches 7.25 psi on low pressure and 11.6 psi on high pressure. The working temps at sea level, according to my contact, are 233F on low pressure and 244F on high.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAZ said:

When I was writing the book, I asked my contact at Ninja about that and was told it reaches 7.25 psi on low pressure and 11.6 psi on high pressure. The working temps at sea level, according to my contact, are 233F on low pressure and 244F on high.

So that is less than a typical stove top PC, which is about   15psi (250F)

dcarch

Got to play with the Ninja a bit last night.  Did the water test first.  Passed with flying colors.  I found it very easy to use.

Decided to do a chicken for dinner.

My chicken was a bit smaller than the 4 1/2 to 5 lb. chicken that was used in the recipe book that came with the Ninja.  I should have taken that into account and reduced the cooking time by a few minutes.  Recipe said to do high pressure for 15 mins, quick release, brush chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper.  Then you close the crisping lid, select AIR CRISP, 400F for 15 mins.  The internal temp of the chicken was 165F or over by the time the 15 mins of AIR CRISP was up.  I think it definitely needed another 5 mins at least to get the skin like I like it but I didn't want the chicken to be dry.  Anyway, next time I'll do less initial pressure cook time so I can have more AIR CRISP time.  All in all, very easy and very moist chicken.  thumbnail_IMG_5610.jpg.d534f469f0c40b1352820fb049352282.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5613.jpg.10b118fd5c53713ecc8308785ca3f22d.jpg

Now.  Where am I going to store this big 'ole Ninja..........

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I've neglected my Ninja....poor thing has been sitting in a cabinet, looking dejectedly at me ever time I open the door.  I've decided to be better.  I used it on salmon last night I was super pleased with the results.  I usually do salmon in a skillet--I like mine more rare than Ronnie does.  But, I read that the Ninja does great with salmon.  I marinated the salmon in a mix of soy sauce, oyster sauce and some hot chili sauce.  Oh and a splash of veg. oil.  I put the filets in the Ninja and set it at 390F for 6 minutes.  A smidge too done for me, but after taking a bite, I didn't mind at all.  Very moist.  

thumbnail_IMG_7364.jpg.6a7aa92b53b9b17c39be77b50583fa38.jpg

• Like 4